Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Amazon fire tablet for kids

(5 Posts)
MrsStinkey Sun 12-Nov-17 10:41:35

Sorry if this is the wrong topic just couldn't think of anywhere else to post. Was thinking about getting DD2 an Amazon fire kids tablet for christnas. She's 2 but pretty advanced for her age I think mainly due to having DD1 who is 6 around. Does anyone here have any advice on them? Are they any good. I know nothing about this kind of stuff. DD1 has had 2 cheap tablets now which she struggled to use and broke very quickly so thinking better spending the money on a more age appropriate and sturdy tablet this time round?

SparkleFizz Sun 12-Nov-17 11:23:21

We have kindle fires for our 6 yr old and 4 yr old (Christmas presents last year) and they both really like them.

It came with a years subscription to the Amazon Fire for Kids Unlimited service, which gives them access to loads of age appropriate apps, books and videos, so they’ve found lots of stuff they like on there, and you can get a nice sturdy case for them. Parental controls are easy to use. Main problem we’ve had is the memory, it might just be that the kids have downloaded huge numbers of apps and videos, but we have run out of memory and had to go through the tablets deleting stuff they don’t use much a few times.

It’s the only tablet my kids have had so don’t know how it compares to other kids tablet options out there.

MiaowTheCat Tue 14-Nov-17 09:25:10

Mine got them for DD2's 3rd birthday (DD1 was 4 just after). They've both coped fine with them, installed the apps they wanted and watch programmes they choose on them (iPlayer Kids works on them).

We don't have the actual kids ones - we bought the normal ones and subscribe to the fire for kids service and they've survived well. They're going to get replaced at Christmas after a good couple of years as they're really starting to get a bit temperamental in their old age (technologically speaking) and I'm hoping in the Black Friday reductions I can get the higher memory version for what the normal one usually costs (we regularly have to purge stuff when it fills up).

For stuff like the Cbeebies playtime island app and iPlayerKids you have to install it on an adult account on there and then enable it through fire for kids but I found it fairly obvious to do.

Like I say we're basically looking at replacing them with the slightly updated versions so must have been impressed - they've lasted while numerous friends' kids have ipads with cracked screens and the like now - but I AM quite strict about you put it down on a table not on the floor and things like that.

We go through the USB charge cables like mad as the pins that make the connection into the device secure bend out of shape and make it harder to get on charge - but I go through them like mad for phone chargers too because the design of micro USB is shite (I just buy the cables in poundland and keep replacing them now)

Eringray Fri 17-Nov-17 20:24:33

I got my DD who is 5 now , Fire HD 8 Kids Edition and she loves it. The best part is that now she doesn't come to try meddling with my tab or phone anymore... So +1 for age appropriate one.

MrsStinkey Sat 18-Nov-17 15:36:47

Well I bit the bullet and bought one in the black Friday sale. Got the 8 with more storage and it's HD for £89.99 rather than the 7 I was originally looking at. Fingers crossed she'll love it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now