Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nintendo Wii or have things moved on to Nintendo U? Help!

(11 Posts)
smilesandsun Sun 05-Nov-17 12:31:32

Hi

Trying to sort a christmas gift for the kids. Wanted to get a Wii because of the family games (mario etc) but I now read somewhere that Nintendo has moved on from the Wii though you can still buy them.

What should I be buying?

BertieBotts Sun 05-Nov-17 12:32:55

Well the newest one is the Switch but that might be prohibitively expensive.

You can't buy the Wii any more I don't think but you can buy the Wii U.

smilesandsun Sun 05-Nov-17 12:37:39

What are benefits of the Switch? Still aimed at families?

Brandnewstart Sun 05-Nov-17 12:41:19

How old are your kids? If they are little I would suggest the Wii but would buy it 2nd hand. It's brilliant for gaming as a family. My boys are 13 and 9 now and we have just put it away as they have an Xbox and eldest has a Switch.
The Xbox has Kinnects so we can use it for Just Dance etc. The switch is fine but v expensive and the games are too. I don't think it is anywhere near as good as the Wii but obviously my eldest loves it!!

jellyandsoup Sun 05-Nov-17 12:45:06

We have a Wii u and it is great. Don't but a Wii, they don't make games for them any more so not really worth it. you can play all the old standard wii game in the Wii u too

smilesandsun Sun 05-Nov-17 12:45:55

thanks. Mine are 10. We have an xbox but I find the active games are not so great. We did the mario thing at friend and they loved it.

I might go the second hand option as it just for holiday times really, I don't need them glued to it!

Brandnewstart Sun 05-Nov-17 12:54:24

If you get a 2nd hand one then the games are cheap as chips. Game sell them 2nd hand and usually on 3 for 2. We have had so much fun with Sports resort and the balance board. I think it is the best console we've had.

BertieBotts Sun 05-Nov-17 12:56:21

Do you have a CeX near you? They are good for second hand consoles. Have a look in there and see what they recommend.

If you don't want them to be on it all the time then I agree get a slightly older model. The Wii U would probably be best but you can probably get a Wii extremely cheap now. At 10 I'm not sure how long the games will hold their interest. Wii U would be better as still has some more modern ones.

cheesypastatonight Sun 05-Nov-17 13:00:30

I bought a new wii U for my two last year , I think for £1/200? and then saw someone selling a second hand Wii with all the controllers and games and charger for £40. I bought it and they've loved it all year. I sent the new Wii back! The games are fine for little kids, we get them from cex, and for a 10 and 6 year old it has been brill!

Biker47 Wed 08-Nov-17 19:05:30

They don't sell Wii's and Wii U's new anymore, so second hand is the only option. I have all three, the switch is what the Wii U should have been it's the best of the three IMO. Nintendo messed up marketing the Wii U, which led to poor sales, and poor quantity of third party games being provided. As mentioned you can play Wii games on a Wii U, you'll just have to buy a Wii Mote and Nunchuck to use to play the games. There's still some pretty good games on the Wii U, it was underated by pretty much everyone.

Flomper Thu 09-Nov-17 12:16:55

Inhave/habe had all 3 and say definitely bget a switch if you can, its streets ahead and all the best new games will only come out on switch. Definitely for famillies.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: