Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

If we like . . . suggestions for other board games

(10 Posts)
imsorryiasked Thu 09-Mar-17 21:22:46

We've just started playing Ticket to Ride and Carcassonne.
DS8 is really enjoying them and I'd like to keep his enthusiasm going for non computer games!
There are usually just two or three of us playing - what else might we like please?

TheBitterBoy Thu 09-Mar-17 21:25:11

We like those too, we (and DS aged 8) also like Settlers of Catan, Colt Express, Labyrinth, and a bit different, Ice Cool

myrtleWilson Thu 09-Mar-17 21:26:06

Ticket to Ride is great - not played Carcassone.... Some other favourites from our house include Pandemic (collaboration game), Dominion, 7 Wonders, Love Letter, Condotierre... but pandemic and 7 wonders are probably the ones we play the most....

You could also look at boardgamegeek and shutupandsitdown which has categories for family games... Enjoy!

peukpokicuzo Thu 09-Mar-17 21:47:36

With DS7 we play carcassone colt express and settlers of catan - also "Hey that's my fish", qwirkle, pylos, qorridor, Risk.

Always up for being inspired for new things to try.

isittheholidaysyet Thu 09-Mar-17 21:52:50

We love carcassonne.
Just bought mapominoes.
Quite simple in a way. Card game based on dominoes. Place country cards next to the country they are geographically next to. Played twice. I'm beginning to see the strategy.

imsorryiasked Thu 09-Mar-17 21:56:47

Thank you I will have a look at all of those.

imsorryiasked Fri 10-Mar-17 07:10:50

With settlers of catan I'm assuming I need to be looking for the original board game rather than the family edition, or the card game?

peukpokicuzo Fri 10-Mar-17 09:11:07

Settlers of Cattan - yes for an 8yo go straight for the original version (there are kids ones suitable for age 4-6). Once you get the hang of it you may well be interested in the extensions - go for seafarers first, then cities & knights (extensions require you to already have the original game, which they enhance with additional scenarios and extra layers of interest to the game)

Nan0second Fri 10-Mar-17 09:13:40

Lords of waterdeep
Puerto Rico
Ingenious

imsorryiasked Fri 10-Mar-17 21:36:50

Great thankyou

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now