Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Xbox one or PS4

(10 Posts)
Flicketyflack Sat 31-Dec-16 17:15:26

DS has a birthday in January and is considering buying an Xbox one (he already has a 360) with the money he has saved up from Christmas and possible Birthday money. He has been saving up for some time and I was just thinking would a PS4 be a better option. Other kids in his class have a Xbox one.

What should we consider? Thanks

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 31-Dec-16 17:20:07

A lot of the 360 games are now compatible with the Xbox one if he has a few games already. I would advise to get an Xbox one if his friends have. They can play together online on most games in group chat which he can limit to just his friends.

ToneDeafHamster Sat 31-Dec-16 17:20:26

If he is more like to play with his mates online and they all have xboxes then the xbox one would be better.

I have both, but prefer the PS4 but I am more of a solitary gamer.

Flicketyflack Sat 31-Dec-16 17:23:45

At the moment he does not play online, I have to admit I am not keen (he is only nine). Any opinions?

ToneDeafHamster Sat 31-Dec-16 17:28:57

The PS4 is a better machine in my opinion, with some very good exclusives, although he is a bit too young for those at the moment.

With the xbox one you have to be online all the time whether gaming online or not. This is not the case with the PS4.

Its difficult to choose as everyone has their preferences, but if he is not gaming online, either would do, as a majority of games are cross platform anyway.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 31-Dec-16 17:35:55

Ds got his first Xbox and started playing online at the same time around age 10. He only plays now when his friends are online, if they aren't online he finds something else to do. The online friends contact is a big thing for him, I'd go with the Xbox one.

gamerchick Sat 31-Dec-16 17:41:02

You need to ask him.

I'm xbox playing offline atm quite happily.

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sat 31-Dec-16 18:06:20

My sons started playing Minecraft online at around that age. He can set it to just talk with just the friends he has put on his friends list so no danger of internet randoms. You might find in a couple of years he will want to take advantage of that feature.

It's a good time to buy a console though, you should get a good deal in the sales whatever you decide. Sometimes the bundle deals work out best; a console, controller, headset and a couple of games are usually included.

Flicketyflack Sat 31-Dec-16 19:55:14

Really useful suggestions, we are looking around for the best deal atm. I wondered whether to go for Xbox or ps4. He uses his Xbox without going online atm but is asking to go online. It's useful to hear from more experienced gamers thanks.

MiaowTheCat Sat 31-Dec-16 20:01:02

We have both. Personally I prefer the ps4 but it depends what format the games you tend to like come out on, and what your friends play on as well.

Ps4 gets more use in this house for netflix etc as well

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now