Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Carcassonne - any tips for va new player?

(6 Posts)
DelphiniumBlue Tue 27-Dec-16 15:30:54

One of my adult sons bought Carcassonne as a family Christmas present. None of us played before, and we had our first game last night. All good, but the boys seemed to pick up the rules and strategy much quicker than me.

So can anyone give me any tips so that I don't lose again? Or at least don't look so slow??
Thanks.

RhinestoneCowgirl Tue 27-Dec-16 15:35:34

We got Carcassonne a couple of months ago, DH and I play with 8 and 10 yr old DC. The 8 yr old is surprisingly good at the strategy, but occasionally makes impulsive moves as she's impatient!

I tend to focus on city-building, not so much on roads. Also keeping a balance when I place my meeple between long term plans and short term gains (if that makes sense)

NotCitrus Tue 27-Dec-16 15:48:54

Cities are more worth it than roads. Cloisters are good. A couple peasants usually are good near the start or aafter you complete a city.
I just focus on making the map look nice and try to avoid needing a particular shape piece to complete anything.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 27-Dec-16 17:07:04

Thank you! Don't want to be outclassed by my own progeny!

TheSnorkMaidenReturns Tue 27-Dec-16 17:23:15

Be ruthless when building cities - build a non-joining expansion next to one and then join it.
Have fun. The more you play the more you learn. Catan is fun too.

DelphiniumBlue Tue 27-Dec-16 17:36:11

How do you join a non-joining expansion?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now