Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help needed, which controllers for Wii U?

(6 Posts)
Piratespoo Mon 23-Nov-15 22:14:20

Hi, as above. I will be getting a Wii U for dd8 and ds4 for Christmas. We have never had a games console before, so I am a bit clueless as to what to buy with it. Two kids, plus me sometimes will want to play together . I have seen you can buy a game controller, a Wii remote, (the rectangular one?) a wii remote plus (motion?), a nunchuck ....

I have no idea which to buy. I see some games have pictures on the back as to what you can use, but I am trying to avoid buying too much but still making sure I have what I need. Some games need a motion Wii remote I think? Some have a cable attached and some don't? What is a sensor bar?

Please can someone give me an idiots guide as to what best to buy for some Wii u games and wii games, which I gather they can play too.

TIA!

foragogo Mon 23-Nov-15 22:18:52

It comes with the rectangular gamepad controller only so one player. I then bought the xbox type controller (cant remeber name sorry) and we had 2 wii remotes with associated nunchucks so 4 player capability. Id buy one of each of the other controllers.

foragogo Mon 23-Nov-15 22:19:44

For 3 player

Piratespoo Tue 24-Nov-15 07:27:05

Thanks, I don't understand what the difference is though?

YouMakeMyDreams Tue 24-Nov-15 07:40:27

The sensor bar comes with the console it picks up the wii remotes.
Get the sensor remotes. You van play games that don't need them with them as well but you can't play games that do need them without. The nunchuck connects with a wire to the remote. Some games you nee them they are like another part to the remote control. No wii remotes are wired they all use the sensor bar.

MetalMidget Wed 25-Nov-15 20:05:04

By default, the Wii U comes with one controller, the 'gamepad'.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_GamePad

As well as being a control pad, it has a screen built in that can be used as a second screen in some games, and can also be used to play some games like a handheld without using the TV

You can buy additional controllers such as the Pro Controller - this is more like the controllers used for PlayStations and XBoxes. I personally find this the most comfortable to use. It's wireless, so it just needs recharging every now and again.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wii_U_Pro_Controller

There's also the Wiimote and Nunchuck, which were first introduced with the Wii. The Wiimote is the rectangular controller that looks like a tv remote. The nunchuck is a thumb stick and a couple of shoulder buttons. Use them together, and you have most of the buttons of the Pro Controller.

If you're planning on getting a lot of Wii games (the Wii U is backwards compatible, so it can play games from the previous console), I'd definitely recommend one each of these (younger kids with small hands might find it a bit more managable than the Pro controller). Just to be awkward, these are sold separately (some games work with just the Wiimote, some also require the nunchuck. You can't play any games with just the nunchuck).

sickr.files.wordpress.com/2012/11/wii_remote_nunchuk.jpg

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now