Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nintendo 3DS XL Help

(9 Posts)
Tartanthrow Fri 06-Nov-15 13:32:48

Hoping someone has the answer to this... Looking to get one of these for my DC this Christmas. Not too fussed on colour or what game comes with it, but have noticed different release dates applied to the various colours/bundles.

Eg, one bundle I liked the look of had a release date of 2012, and a different colour had a release date of 2015. The consoles look the same...so my question is- do the release dates literally apply to that particular colour/bundle or has the Nintendo 3DS XL released an updated model so that the actual console would be different?

Hope that makes sense- I just didn't want to buy an older model.

Thank you!

LMGTFY Fri 06-Nov-15 13:36:40

They released a newer model in 2015, not sure what the difference is, my DSs have the old one.

foragogo Fri 06-Nov-15 14:15:38

I have 3 dc, the older two have the original 3ds xl from 2012-ish

the younger one for one for his birthday a couple of weeks ago so that is a NEW 3DS XL. The latest one released in 2015 always have New somehwere in the title.

I haven't noticed a great deal of difference e between them so far tbh but he's obkybhad it a couple of weeks. I've been playing legend of Zelda link between world's (fabulous game for adults as well if you like puzzles) on whichever one was free and i cant say I've noticed much difference yet. the 3D is much better but we never use it. It's a bit faster.

I'd always buy the latest one oersoanlly to futurproof it a bit. A few weeks ago the best price was on Amazon but I always look on hotukdeals as well.

foragogo Fri 06-Nov-15 14:18:28

sorry to summarise, irrespective of colour or bundles, there are 2 slightly different consoles : 3DS XL and New 3DS XL.

The new one has the game slot at the front, original at the back.

Tartanthrow Fri 06-Nov-15 14:33:57

Ahh thank you. That's really helpful. I had noticed the 'New' in the title of some of them. Much clearer now- and I agree that probably is best to future-proof it a bit!

YakTriangle Fri 06-Nov-15 14:41:01

They all use the same game cards though, so I doubt it would make much difference in that sense.

foragogo Fri 06-Nov-15 14:52:53

no it doesn't. all 3ds games play in all of them. at some point though judging by how things have gone in past (I have had them since game and watch dayssmile ) they will stop releasing firmware updates for the older model and withdraw support. and there will be a latest and greatest game that comes out next year or so that will require the faster processing / more memory of the 2015 model. so IMO always better to get the latest one out if you can afford the extra cost. But I agree, this won't be hapenning anytime soon so not critical.

BadLad Sun 08-Nov-15 14:22:02

all 3ds games play in all of them.

Except Xenoblade, which only plays on the New 3DS.

MadeMan Thu 12-Nov-15 00:59:14

Yeah like BadLad says, Xenoblade Chronicles will only play on the New 3DS, so make sure you buy the new one like it's marked as here.

Review of the New 3DS here.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now