Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help with games consoles!

(8 Posts)
Madelinehatter Mon 26-Oct-15 16:23:14

Hi. Want to buy DS 9 and DD 5 a console for xmas. Which one????? DS likes Minecraft which I think is on X Box but for a younger child heard wii is better.

Can I buy a Wii and for it to be useable for a while or is it worth it to get a wii u given it is most recent.

Really just want games, wireless controls and child friendly games. Not arsed about internet connecting and all that,

Any suggestions? I was thinking we don't necessarily need the latest models so would happily get an older version if I could get the games.

Thanks.

mintbiscuit Mon 26-Oct-15 19:36:22

So I thought I would pose your question to my ds1 who is 12. (Because I'm no expert)

He raised an interesting point about investing for the future. Whilst the wii will be good for your dd now your ds may grow out of it in the next couple of years. I have to agree. I bought a wii when ds1 was about 6. He wasn't that into it by 10 and started to use dh's xbox. He's into minecraft and terreria (similar to minecraft). He has an xbox one (recently upgraded from xbox 360).

The wii is good for family games but I have to be honest, our one is very rarely used now.

Sorry not sure I've been much help! Not advocating xbox but wanted to make you think about short term vs long term.

Cassimin Mon 26-Oct-15 19:38:23

My little one has got play station and plays minecraft on it.

Madelinehatter Mon 26-Oct-15 21:19:03

Hmmmm good point.

All super expensive though. What is latest Xbox? 360?

mintbiscuit Mon 26-Oct-15 21:39:27

Xbox one is the latest. MS are no longer making games for 360 going forward. I am led to believe that xbox one will be supported for 10 years (was released in 2013).

Agree they are super expensive. You can get good deals on bundles. Not sure what second hand prices are like for xbox one.

bloodyteenagers Mon 26-Oct-15 21:50:29

You can also play minecraft and terraria on ps.
If your not bothered about the latest model you can get Good deals on PS3.. I bought an additional console from eBay for less than £80.

I know you said you aren't interested in online gaming but soon the 9 year old might. Mine plays
Minecraft online.
Try and find out what his mates have at home.

I agree about the wii. we only use it still beciase of the dance ones.

bruffin Mon 26-Oct-15 21:56:58

Not sure how many new games there are coming out for the wii. The last 4 lego games are only on wii u.

MadeMan Fri 30-Oct-15 00:03:20

The Nintendo Wii U is a great family friendly console with some of the best games around anywhere at the moment.

Splatoon is really really fun online, as is Mario Kart 8 too.

Legend of Zelda: Windwaker is an excellent single player adventure game.

Other mentions are Super Smash Brothers, Rayman Legends, Super Mario 3D World and Lego City Undercover.

I reckon any number of children would be over the moon to get one for christmas.

This Wii U Splatoon and Mario Kart 8 Premium Pack for £242.86 is released today and is really good value. Mario Kart 8 is pre-installed on the console and a code is included to download the Splatoon game.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: