Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past

(98 Posts)
minionwithdms Sun 26-Jul-15 23:46:30

Have just finished this game on GBA now...after having it for over a decade blush

Anyone else a fan of the old Zelda games?

Ashvis Mon 27-Jul-15 08:20:10

Me, I'm a fan too! Just complained on another thread about having to wait till next year for a new Zelda game, but the old ones are great too. Rock hard cause it's so easy to die, but great. Was delighted the N64 games got rereleased on the 3ds and looked so beautiful. Man, think I'll be looking out my Zelda t shirt today...
Which Zelda is your fave minion?

minionwithdms Mon 27-Jul-15 23:58:17

Arghh, it has to be a tie between Ocarina of Time and The Wind Waker. Link to the Past is a close second for me, despite being rubbish at it grin I don't have any of the rereleased games, but I'm feeling nostalgic enough to buy them all now. Which Zelda is your favourite?

Ashvis Tue 28-Jul-15 07:38:12

Those are my favourites too!! I couldn't believe my luck when I could get wind waker free when I bought mario kart 8 on the WiiU (and until recently spent much more time playing wind waker because it's all kinds of gorgeous). Have you played wind waker on the WiiU? I loved it on the GameCube but I'd only a tiny telly back then, so playing it on a proper big screen was awesome. The social aspect added in with the message in a bottle was brilliant too, loved it. Toon Link is just the cutest. Will encourage ds to play with our toon link toy today. Dh bought me ocarina on the 3ds for my birthday last year, and I loved it so much I preordered Majora's Mask. The repetition in Majora's is a bit of a nuisance, but all the details and little story arcs are wonderful. I love being a zora or a goron, all the masks are great. The water dungeons in Oracina though, I just kept getting lost! Thank goodness for the prima guides. My sense of direction has gotten better through playing games like Skyrim, Oblivion and Witcher 3, but first time I played those dungeons I tied myself in knots wandering aimlessly!

I did really enjoy Link between worlds too, very cute and nice little twists. Love a new weapon as well! Plus, top down games are lovely and nostalgic, made me replay minish cap which I also love too.

Man, I want to play twilight princess now too because it's just so pretty. The controls for skyward sword just annoyed me and I didn't play it nearly as much as other Zelda games because of that. Have you seen the gameplay footage from the new Zelda game coming out next year? Took my breath away. I know they are trying to make it the best Zelda game ever, and every fan of the series is used to the games being delayed (a lot!) but Nintendo kinda ruined my Christmas by telling us we had to wait until next year for the game. I'm confident it will be worth the wait, and it's not like there's a lack of great Zelda games to play meanwhile, but I wanted to play it yesterday damnit!

I've not met many in rl who are as enthusiastic about Zelda as I am. I may be a bit over excited...

minionwithdms Thu 30-Jul-15 18:06:31

Never tried Wind Waker on a WiiU - bet it's fab on a big screen! That probably goes for most of the Zelda games where there are lots of tiny cool details. Just realised I've never actually tried Link between worlds! I'm definitely going to try and hunt down a copy.

Really looking forward to the next Zelda game, it's turned into a bit of an obsession. I just hope it's every bit as good as they've made it out to be. I'll have to work out which existing games I haven't played yet (I'm sure there's more!) and try them as well.

Ashvis Thu 30-Jul-15 19:17:53

Wind waker on the WiiU is brilliant, def give it a go. The tingle bottles you got now allow you to post a message to the miiverse for anyone to read and comment on, and it created a lovely community feel! You can completely ignore it, read everyone else's bottle messages, or you can write your own too, it's all good! Dh even got excited about what kinds of messages I was picking up! I played it when mario kart 8 came out and there were a lot of other people who got the game free with mario kart playing at the same time. Several people commented on playing ww much more than Mario Kart!

Link Between Worlds is all kinds of lovely. It's fun, there's humour, challenge and the animation is gorgeous. One of my favourite handheld Zelda games!

I almost wept when I saw the gameplay footage they released earlier this year for the new game, bloody hell its gorgeous! Hope it doesn't get delayed again, I think Twilight Princess had a ridiculously long delay - went from being a GameCube swan song to Wii release game! Although at this rate, the new one might as well be a WiiU swan song, I don't know anyone else in real life who owns a WiiU! So, so pretty, and improved controls. Hope there's a good fishing spot too grin

minionwithdms Thu 30-Jul-15 23:17:04

I agree, the new footage looks amazing! Really pretty. I just hope they don't keep pushing back the release date, as I'm so looking forward to being able to play it. Why do they show us such gorgeous games and then make us wait? Arghh.

Glad to hear Link Between Worlds is good, I've just ordered a copy smile I realised I've never actually finished Majora's Mask for some reason, so currently obsessing over that game too. Zelda games never get old.

oddfodd Thu 30-Jul-15 23:23:43

I loved Link Between Worlds and Windwaker. I also loved Twilight Princess but never finished it because DS accidentally deleted my file angry and it's really, really hard and I couldn't bear to go back and start again.

I've got Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time but not played them yet. They're old Gamecube ones which I play on the wii (with a gamecube controller plugged in).

Ashvis Fri 31-Jul-15 00:01:28

Love the GameCube controller, feels very comfy! I loved that console. I have finished plenty of Zelda games but there are some I've never finished because I just don't want them to end (Ocarina, Twilight Princess). Weird, I know, but knowing I've a save game that's not completed means I can go back to That version of Hyrule whenever I want. The adventure isn't yet over. Something very comforting about that for me.

Yay, glad you've ordered Link Between Worlds! Dh and I both loved it! It's so cute and full of adventure I loved playing it. I hope you enjoy it too, OP, keep us posted with how you're getting on.

I'm lucky ds is only 3 and hasn't deleted any game files yet, but he did manage to add a new person into an Animal Crossing game once! Hmmm, maybe he'd like watching Windwaker. looking for an excuse to game during the day At the least he's enjoy the facial expressions Link makes when taking a selfie grin

The music from Ocarina really is just the best. We got a cd of music from Zelda, celebrating 25 years of Zelda games and it's wonderful. I need to dig it out and listen to it again.

BadLad Fri 31-Jul-15 07:03:31

Link's Awakening (originally on Gameboy and Gameboy Color, now a download on 3DS) is my favourite.

Haven't really liked any of the console ones since Majora's Mask. Didn't like the Gamecube or Wii ones, and it looks as if there won't be a Wii U one.

Ashvis Fri 31-Jul-15 08:58:42

Oh, Link's awakening, I'd forgotten about that one!

I'm still hopeful about the WiiU one. I know it's very possible they will delay it again, but it's good to know they are still working on it. It's got to have better controls than Skyward Sword, surely! It's so gorgeous, waiting is infuriating. Can't wait to immerse myself in the world. A playable demo, Nintendo, a little playable demo would be good and keep us going!

Have you heard about Universal partnering with Nintendo to make Nintendo themed rides? I really want to know what they are going to do with the Zelda franchise. And Mario Kart, that has to be awesome. God, I'd end up spending a small fortune on Nintendo merchandise there...

minionwithdms Fri 31-Jul-15 22:51:42

Link's Awakening? I haven't played that one either...that'll be next on my radar to try. How do I miss these things? I'm playing through Link to The Past again at the moment, it all seems so much easier now blush Especially Moldorm, he's the boss I got stuck on for the last few years.

I would LOVE to see a Zelda-themed ride - hope they figure out something exciting to do with the franchise. In fact, if they just made a whole theme park dedicated to Nintendo that would be perfect.

Ashvis Sat 01-Aug-15 08:16:47

Bloody hell, a Zelda themed theme park, I think that might be my spiritual home. Heaven. There could be archery, epona, sword fighting, giant puzzles - not sure about chicken flying, maybe a zip line with a big plastic chicken? If spend a fortune in the gift shop. Oh, the cosplay could be a bit weird (although ds is a very cute Peter Pan so the Link costume isn't too far from Pan). A fairy in a bottle! I kinda want a fairy in a bottle! Though the Wind Waker ones looked a bit miserable...

I watched gameplay footage for the new 3ds game coming out soon, Triforce Heroes last night, I like all the puzzling but the multiplayer seems really stupid - you can play with 2 friends but not 1?!?! I know dh is likely to play as well, and if I'm very lucky my dniece, but not anyone else sad. I'll play quite happily by myself but if they can have the computer playing the other two Links when I play on my own, why can't they have one computer Link for when you play with one other real person? sigh

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 08:19:34

I'm currently playing Spirit Tracks, DH and I both love Zelda games!

BadLad Sat 01-Aug-15 08:48:32

Anyone played Oracle of Ages or Oracle of Seasons? They are Gameboy Color games. Think you can download them now on 3DS.

oddfodd Sat 01-Aug-15 09:05:54

There was a spoof a few years ago about a Zelda theme park. I actually think it's a brilliant idea grin

Ashvis Sat 01-Aug-15 10:02:17

I haven't played either of those BadLad, I missed out a lot of game boy colour stuff. Which is the best, they're quite cheap to download and I fancy a new Zelda game! I liked spirit tracks well enough, but link between worlds is def my favourite 3ds Zelda!

We can't wait to go to the Nintendo section of the Universal theme park when it opens but could be a while. Ds is autistic and doesn't currently cope well with changes to his routine. He is only 3 though, so hoping that will be a bit easier as he gets older, plus we will get to the front of the queues so even more reason to give it a try! They did mention Zelda when announcing it but no details last time I looked about what it will be exactly. How cool will it be though, only the most!

BadLad Sat 01-Aug-15 11:33:18

I've only played Seasons, but it was quite good.

Indomitable Sat 01-Aug-15 11:39:39

Oh, here you all are! I need your help!

How do we get GameCube discs to in a wii? Do we need some special carrier disc or something?

DH has been playing Ocarina, Windwaker and Majora's Mask with DS (who is 4 and now shockingly proficient at it) on GameCube, but we bought a second hand wii at Christmas but can't get the Zelda games to play.

Ashvis Sat 01-Aug-15 13:04:17

Maybe I should try Ages then, and I can let you know if it's any good smile

Sorry, Indomitable, I don't know what's gone wrong. Do other GC games work alright on it? You should just be able to put them in and play. How frustrating! Kudos to you and dh for teaching your ds to play Zelda games though, impressive parenting! (That's my future hopefully too!). It's decided, definitely showing ds some Zelda soon. You've just made me think of super monkey ball too. Dh and I played it obsessively on the GameCube, think he will love that too and encourage him to game on anything other than iPad

MadeMan Sat 01-Aug-15 13:12:17

Ocarina of Time is a fantastic game.

Indomitable Sat 01-Aug-15 13:30:15

Ashvis "impressive parenting"! I feel like it's more sloppy parenting! But 'playing Zelda' in the garden is slightly preferable to playing the ninja turtles or wrestling, in my book, which is what a lot of his peers do.

We've got the wii up on its side, when you put the GC disc in it sort of grinds a bit and then we panic and spend ages trying to fish it out. It's never played. Is there a trick to it? The GC discs are small but the wii takes big discs. Am I missing something? (We got it specifically to play Zelda on!)

TheHumourlessHarpy Sat 01-Aug-15 13:31:50

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

BadLad Sat 01-Aug-15 14:02:37

You should be able just to put the GameCube disks in and play them, even though they are tiny. That Wii sounds faulty.

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 14:07:26

You know, I've read that Ocarina of Time is awesome, and I've tried to play it but I just can't get into the way Link looks. Same with Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess

I much prefer the Toon Link games. Windwaker, Phantom Hourglass etc just look gorgeous.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now