Talk

Advanced search

Note: This topic is for discussing games and gaming. If you want to buy or sell games, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Just got motion sickness from Minecraft

(25 Posts)
Nagasaki Wed 22-Jul-15 21:37:29

About twenty minutes into playing for the first time, I got really bad motion sickness. I've watched DH and DS play with no problems, but when I started my own game... BLERGH! sad

I wasn't even walking (bobbing) around or anything, just building a house. I think it must be the repetition of the blocks and the "4D" movement. I can't play CoD or those kinds of games either because of it.blush Anyone else suffer from this? Any tips?

Think I might just stick to Yoshi's Woolly World and ACNL!

meglet Wed 22-Jul-15 21:40:52

same here. I was looking forward to having a little play when the dc's got minecraft for Xmas, I lasted about 20 mins too envy <<<queasy face.

Nagasaki Wed 22-Jul-15 21:48:10

Weird isn't it, Meglet? I'm disappointed too, I thought I would love creative mode making wee houses and farms, but my body rebelled against me.

DAMN YOU, INNER EAR!! <shakes fist>

OneBigHeadache Sat 01-Aug-15 14:18:15

Do you wear glasses? I used to get motion sickness all the time from first person games, especially CoD as it's so fast paced. After having perfect eyesight for my whole life I suddenly needed glasses. Motion sickness stopped after that. When I started getting it again, my eye test showed my prescription had changed. It's come back with a vengeance at the moment (particularly with minecraft!) so it must mean my eyes have got worse again!

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 14:25:07

*Headache *Interesting! I bet you're glad you've solved the problem.

I don't wear glasses, but I do have a squint which makes my 3D vision a bit "off". That must be a big part of the problem for me!

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 14:32:46

*Headache *just read my post back, and it reads like I'm glad you had to get glasses. blushdidn't mean it like that!

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 14:33:38

*Headache *just read my post back, and it reads like I'm glad you had to get glasses. blushdidn't mean it like that!

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 14:33:38

lionheart Sat 01-Aug-15 14:54:08

That's interesting. I don't get it from MC but other games are awful (Halo). I should get my eyes tested.

scatterthenuns Sat 01-Aug-15 14:56:45

I get it from Guitar Hero, but nothing else. Weird, isn't it?

ijustwannadance Sat 01-Aug-15 15:17:44

I used to get it from spyro the dragon years ago. I struggle with anything that moves too fast or 3d.

ISaySteadyOn Sat 01-Aug-15 15:30:03

OP, I get this. I can't play any 3D games at all and I hate it as many of the RPGs that are getting brilliant reviews are all 3D.

However, there is a 2D game on Steam called Terraria which I believe was what inspired Minecraft in the first place. I have played it numerous times and I can honestly say it is always fun so maybe you should try that if you want to build and explore and hit things wink.

OneBigHeadache Sat 01-Aug-15 18:15:24

Ha! nagasaki don't worry I didn't take it that way. I was very pleased I'd figured out the problem! It all happened when I was pregnant with dc1 so I blame him for my bad eyesight wink
Your 3D issues make sense. I get motion sickness in vehicles but I had never had it in games before, so was really strange when it first started happening.
I second terraria as a good game, although I don't enjoy the 'building' as much as in minecraft. I love building houses and stuff so I play the sims alot! Currently replicating my own house on there at the moment grin

Nagasaki Sat 01-Aug-15 18:30:41

Thanks all. It's a strange phenomenon, one it seems I'm not alone in!

PerspicaciaTick Sat 01-Aug-15 18:35:46

I can play Minecraft, but if my DCs offer to show me their latest creations then I quickly feel queasy - proper, about to upchuck vomitty.

I have glasses with an up to date prescription, but as it is getting worse each time I think it must be something I'm anticipating and reacting to.

MangoBiscuit Sat 01-Aug-15 18:38:37

There's one boss fight in world of warcraft that makes me feel really motion sick. The boat fight from ICC in wrath (if that means anything to anyone. smile ) It starts with you all on a boat deck, that starts moving, and rocking side to side. If I stood my character at the edge of the boat, and looked at the horizon, I was fine. No motion sickness in RL, and nothing from the rest of the game, or any other ones. Very odd.

mrstiggy Sat 01-Aug-15 18:43:03

I can't watch my dc on minecraft at all. I feel dizzy and sick and my head hurts. Not good when ds excitedly wants to show me his new farm or mansion and I just glance over and say 'very nice love but I can't look at it at all'. I've had my eyes lazered but maybe they are going weak again if it's bad eyesight that causes it.

CatMilkMan Sat 01-Aug-15 18:44:34

I have had a feeling of falling if I'm building something very tall and walked to the edge but never motion sickness.

BertieBotts Sat 01-Aug-15 18:49:54

Have you tried changing the view so you can see your character rather than looking through their eyes?

lionheart Sun 02-Aug-15 19:44:13

I might try that, Bertie.

SailorJupitor Tue 12-Jan-16 17:20:42

I got the same with Portal. My husband, sister and friends can all play it but it turns my stomach. I've tried many times always with the same result. It's a shame, I feel like I've really missed out.

JillJ72 Tue 12-Jan-16 17:43:28

"Glad" it's not just me - don't watch any games on TV screens because they make me feel ick. Can't play them either. DS says "Look away because I'm just going to go over there and you don't want to feel ill."

McButtonwillow Sat 16-Jan-16 18:32:16

I'm the same I literally can't play any games on the console and its definitely got worse as I've got older.

Rainbow road on mariokart made me have to go and lie down, I felt so ill sad. The dc now know not to even bother asking me to play.

BreakingDad77 Mon 18-Jan-16 16:28:35

I have not got it for a while but some games do seem to have more effects than others, im not sure if its due to too much information or lag.

There was a game on the Nintendo 64 I remember on these hover bikes that raced through the insides of spaceships, cant remember the name. Maybe because it was a floaty movement and you could turn upside down etc, after about 5 mins would want to throw up.

britnay Mon 25-Apr-16 20:33:05

I've had this since I was about 15 (I was fine with all games before that!). I can't play first person for more than a few minutes without feeling sick, but I'm generally fine with third person games (assassins creed/ME/skyrim etc) unless the motion is very quick and jerky.
The thing that helps the most is wearing acupressure bands on my wrists while I play. When I'm wearing them I can play first person games for a lot longer (useful when some games are better when you can switch between viewpoints for certain things such as using bows).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now