Talk

Advanced search

Pleasant surprises in Veganuary

(33 Posts)
BoredOfTheBoard Sun 12-Jan-20 22:53:21

Could we have a thread about all the surprising and wonderful discoveries people have found this month?

Mine is potato salad from sainsburys. And it tastes like the real thing

ForTheLoveOfCatFood Sun 12-Jan-20 22:59:30

Love their potato salad! smile

I really like the vivera chicken pieces and LInda McCartney duck with hoisin sauce tastes amazing! .

Coconut milk in currys and chillis is yummy never really used it much before.

Oatley creme fraiche is an awesome sour cream. I tend to use Oatly original for cereal etc and really like it.

Haven’t found a nice ‘cheese’ yet, I have a sheesh garlic and herbs which isn’t to bad.

BoredOfTheBoard Sun 12-Jan-20 23:00:46

Agree about cheese. Please can someone come on this thread and tell me they've found the perfect cheese grin

ForTheLoveOfCatFood Sun 12-Jan-20 23:17:00

Oh I forgot fry’s chocolate orange fondant bars, taste like Terry’s chocolate orange!

SlowSigh Sun 12-Jan-20 23:21:09

That vegetables, lentils, beans, nuts and tofu taste really good, and you don't need to eat all this fake twattery.

Ricekrispie22 Mon 13-Jan-20 04:41:31

If you’re after cheese, fry the vegan smoked applewood www.somersetlive.co.uk/news/somerset-news/asda-vegan-cheese-applewood-smoked-3384092

BoredOfTheBoard Mon 13-Jan-20 05:59:23

Thanks @Ricekrispie22 I haven't managed to get hold of that yet. Does it actually taste like or close to real cheese?

ForTheLoveOfCatFood Mon 13-Jan-20 17:45:51

Tried the Greg’s vegan doughnut today... very yummy!

Ricekrispie22 Mon 13-Jan-20 18:04:31

Yes although I haven’t tasted proper smoked cheese in a while so I can’t give a very good opinion!

FlamingoAndJohn Mon 13-Jan-20 18:08:32

I’ve just bought vegan tuna in Aldi.
I shall report back. I’ve not eaten real tuna in over 20 years though.

Pineapple75 Mon 13-Jan-20 18:52:55

Nandos vegan peri-naise (tastes just like mayo!)

Naturali spreadable butter

M&S 75% dark chocolate

Skyejuly Tue 14-Jan-20 11:04:15

Quorn roast
Oat milk

TwistedAnkle Tue 14-Jan-20 15:18:42

Quorn roast has egg white in so not vegan sadly!
Some quorn products are vegan though

buginarug Tue 14-Jan-20 15:47:19

Tesco Free From NOMO fruit & crunch chocolate bars are nice.

I need a trip to Sainsbury's for their potato salad!

LadyMonicaBaddingham Tue 14-Jan-20 16:03:18

Vegan TUNA? Is that a typo?

Skyejuly Tue 14-Jan-20 16:28:34

Eeek. I didnt know that about the quorn roast. shock

puffylovett Tue 14-Jan-20 16:32:27

Vegan meatballs in Aldi made from chickpeas and sweet potato. Really trying hard to avoid any of the meat replacements as I don’t want to eat any of the processed foods. Enjoying not feeling bloated and stuffed after every meal, feel ‘lighter’ somehow!
Jackfruit kebabs - YUM!
And yes the vegan tuna is a thing although we haven’t tried it.

NotJustACigar Tue 14-Jan-20 16:48:32

For those looking for cheese, the cheeses from Lafauxmagerie are all excellent. They're expensive though. lafauxmagerie.com/

ContessaferJones Tue 14-Jan-20 16:51:42

'fake twattery'? <shrugs> whatever gets people through the vegan door. And I say that as someone who has been vegan for 5 years and doesn't eat much fake stuff because I find it a bit expensive!

My omni DC are happy with the meatless mince from Sainsburys - they are usually snooty but that got a thumbs up.

NotJustACigar Tue 14-Jan-20 18:13:37

Exactly ContessaferJones! I've been vegan for over a year now. When I first started the fake stuff was really useful in making the transition. I still have the vegan Richmond sausages every now and then and the vegan quorn sandwich meat too. It may not be the healthiest food in the world but it's better than beef and pork sausages which are known carcinogens.

SlowSigh Tue 14-Jan-20 20:31:03

All the surprising and wonderful discoveries...

That if you are trying to move away from or reducing animal products, maybe you should discover that there is food beyond that rather than trying to replicate it.

Try discovering that vegetables taste amazing, there are so many of them and ways to prepare them.

Try discovering that there are many sources of protein & flavour that do not involve animal produce or a fake version of.

Try discovering texture in vegetables, legumes, pulses, nuts, seeds and grains.

Just try to discover something different.

cricketmum84 Wed 15-Jan-20 00:27:25

My favourite discovery so far has been celeriac! Can't believe I've never had it before. Celeriac mash is my new favourite thing.

Also vivera plant shawarma. Game. Changer.

ContessaferJones Wed 15-Jan-20 08:22:27

Oh, I know - try roasting veg you'd normally boil. Roasted kale with a bit of oil, salt and tahini (or nutritional yeast if you have it; essentially marmite in flake form) is lush. Also roasted brussels sprouts!

I favour meals with a pulse or bean included, not just straight fruit/veg. While lovely, fruit/veg are not usually big on the protein front. Peanuts and pistachios are astonishingly high in it though (>20%) but the fat content is an issue. I favour the Waitrose flavoured tofu blocks in the quest for high protein low fat vegan food grin

Skyejuly Wed 15-Jan-20 10:33:36

I'm trying celeriac mash today!

cricketmum84 Wed 15-Jan-20 21:41:39

What did you think @Skyejuly?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »