Talk

Advanced search

Using lentils for bolognaise / shepherds pie type sauce

(28 Posts)
FusionChefGeoff Sun 12-Jan-20 11:31:39

I'm trying a veg and lentil shepherds pie later - I've got red or puy dried lentils and a tonne of 'casserole' type veg eg celery, onions, carrots, squash.

Which lentils would be best or a mix and how do I know how much stock to use to fully cook the lentils?? Kids moan if they have any bite to them so I'm aiming for mush grin

AlexaShutUp Sun 12-Jan-20 11:33:21

If you're aiming for mush, I'd go for red split lentils.

daisypond Sun 12-Jan-20 11:38:24

Mush would be red split. But I’d go for Puy personally.

Notwiththeseknees Sun 12-Jan-20 11:39:24

I used to bulk out mince with brown lentils. Tasted fab!

Mominatrix Sun 12-Jan-20 11:42:36

WOuldn't soft tofu be a better option? Lentils in a Bolognese style ragu served over pasta would be far too stodgy.

Mominatrix Sun 12-Jan-20 11:43:41

SOrry, thinking about it, extra firm tofu chopped would be a better texture than soft tofu.

bizziebee297 Sun 12-Jan-20 11:53:45

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

FusionChefGeoff Sun 12-Jan-20 12:03:56

I don't have tofu but will try that next time.

I'm also intrigued as to what response could have been against the guidelines grin

Ok I think I will go with red - anyone have a good guide on how many lentils to what quantity of stock and approx cooking time?

cricketmum84 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:14:55

I would go for puy as I think they have a more "meaty" texture and hold their shape better. I find red a bit plastic-tasting.

cricketmum84 Sun 12-Jan-20 13:15:40

Ah just seen you are aiming for mush - go with the red then 😂

yukka Sun 12-Jan-20 14:15:43

Deff red lentos but remember they expand massively when cooked. I used about 200g for the same dish to feed 4-6 and has s but much. I would also add paprika to the mush as it adds a smokey tinge to an otherwise plain mushy thing smile

CMOTDibbler Sun 12-Jan-20 14:27:52

I really like brown or puy lentils in this kind of dish - red lentils ends up looking like just a tomato sauce. Brown/puy lentils need presoaking and boiling on their own before adding to the dish as otherwise the tomato makes them tough. I cook lots and lots of them at one go and then freeze in portions as it makes it so easy to grab a bag, defrost a bit in the microwave and then sling in

Mustbetimeforachange Sun 12-Jan-20 14:29:42

I use a tin of green lentils. Delicious

AppleJane Sun 12-Jan-20 16:06:22

I like precooked brown or puy.

Next time you make it split your mixture in half and do one of each and have a pie off! I bet puy wins smile

ForTheLoveOfCatFood Sun 12-Jan-20 16:12:46

Green lentils (tinned) have a lovely texture smile

stripeypillowcase Sun 12-Jan-20 16:15:57

we mainly use red ones, they are less farty imo that green/black ones.

SheShriekedShrilly Sun 12-Jan-20 16:20:33

IME (I bulk out my meat bolognese with red lentils) you need more liquid than you would use for the equivalent meat dish, as the lentils soak it all up. I usually add a bit of Marmite mixed with boiling water for the extra liquid and the umami taste.

Cyberworrier Sun 12-Jan-20 16:24:10

We use red lentils for Bolognese, from my mums ancient veggie cook book, was brought up on the stuff. And puy lentils for shepherds pie, for a more savoury flavour (rather than going well with tomatoes in pasta sauce).

ProperVexed Sun 12-Jan-20 17:25:34

This might be a stupid question. If I'm using red lentils to bulk out a meat bolognaise can I bung in a couple of handfuls of dried lentils or do I have to cook them separately first?

stripeypillowcase Sun 12-Jan-20 17:26:59

red ones you can just add, no need to pre-cook, but you need to add them before you add salt or they will stay hard

ProperVexed Sun 12-Jan-20 17:28:47

Thank you! I've added tinned green ones before but I can't seem to get tinned red ones.

MikeUniformMike Sun 12-Jan-20 17:29:58

Green lentils are much nicer than puy or red.

MissPoldark Sun 12-Jan-20 17:32:16

I use green lentils. Are they farty? That explains a lot grin

stripeypillowcase Sun 12-Jan-20 17:32:34

I can't seem to get tinned red ones.
because they would go to mush

Ginfordinner Sun 12-Jan-20 17:38:14

This Jamie Oliver vegan shepherd's pie recipe is scrumptious.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »