Talk

Advanced search

Lower carb vegan recipes

(6 Posts)
AllTheUserNamesAreTaken Thu 09-Jan-20 12:39:23

I am keen to start eating more plant based meals but as I am diet controlled diabetic, meaning I need to eat low carb, the number of vegan options are fairly limited

Just wondered if anyone had any good vegan recipes which happen to be low (or lower) carb?

I’ve found a nice sounding recipe for turmeric cauli soup with crispy tofu croutons which sounds good

AppleJane Thu 09-Jan-20 13:26:14

That's the holy grail isn't it!

Try searching for 'whole food plant based' recipes. As whole foods (like oats etc) are the healthier lower gi carbs.

Are you testing your blood and keeping a food diary? The NHS won't recommend you test your blood until you're on meds (like after the horse has already bolted!) and probably because they don't want to pay for it but imo it would be cheaper in the long run!

Testing your blood before eating and then 2 hours after and keeping a record will soon help you build up a list of 'safe' healthy meals.

Using this method I helped a family member reverse their type 2 diabetes and lose enough weight to have a much needed operation smile

Ricekrispie22 Thu 09-Jan-20 18:09:26

Cajun tofu scramble www.sainsburysmagazine.co.uk/recipes/breakfasts/cajun-tofu-scramble
Tofu stir fry www.goodhousekeeping.com/uk/food/recipes/a559411/lemon-tofu-stir-fry/
Chickpea stew www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/chickpeastewwithtoma_73070
Chickpea curry with cauli rice www.saga.co.uk/magazine/food/recipes/vegetables/curried-chickpeas-with-cauliflower-rice

UnaOfStormhold Thu 09-Jan-20 20:03:19

Are you low carb or low GI? Because pulses are low GI and the core of so many vegan dishes. www.diabetes.org.uk/Guide-to-diabetes/Enjoy-food/Eating-with-diabetes/Food-groups/Pulses-and-diabetes

Sexnotgender Thu 09-Jan-20 20:10:00

We’re transitioning to vegetarian and my DH eats low carb, I replace the pasta/rice/potato whatever with roasted pumpkin, butternut squash, sweet potato or courgetti as appropriate.

veryvery Thu 09-Jan-20 20:46:42

Replace pasta with courgetti, rice with cauliflower rice, mash with cauliflower purée. Have salads, nuts. So you could easily knock up a stir fry with cashews in, an avocado salad with pine nuts, a curry with cauliflower rice. Coconut milk could make it richer. Thick vegetable soups and stews would be good for winter. Anything that would be nice in a breadcrumb style coating or with a breadcrumb topping could be done with chopped / ground nuts instead.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »