Talk

Advanced search

Block tofu v marinated tofu pieces

(4 Posts)
cheesecheesecheese Thu 09-Jan-20 09:02:06

I've only had the marinated pieces in the past but was looking at a block of tofu and it seems you get twice the amount for the same price. I have also read that when pressed till firm the block reduces to half the size. So wondering whether to bother getting the block as the pieces would be much easier for my stir fries etc and would be similar price. Really thinking about value I suppose. Any thoughts?

kikisparks Thu 09-Jan-20 09:06:30

It depends what you want to do. If you buy it in a block you’ll have to press it ( does reduce in size but not to half) marinate it and chop it. You can pick your own herbs and spices though. If you buy the pieces just put them into the pan. I also think the consistency of home cooked is not the same as the pieces having had both.

cheesecheesecheese Thu 09-Jan-20 12:34:29

Thanks for reply, I think I'll buy the pieces this week and think of what I would do with the block as some of the recipes look quite complicated for one person and also considering the time to press.

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Fri 10-Jan-20 03:49:47

It takes a bit of practise doing it yourself but ultimately much better, consistency and choosing your own flavours. I reckon it reduces by about 1/5 at the most when you press it, or get the extra firm stuff and you don’t need to press

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »