Talk

Advanced search

Any “whole food plant based” out there?

(23 Posts)
WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Sun 05-Jan-20 19:32:57

Hi

I’ve been WFPB” for a few months now (but some slip ups over Christmas)

I know there are loads of new vegan threads for January but finding it hard to whittle around all the processed vegan sausages and cheeses

Fancy sharing some recipes?

elmosducks Sun 05-Jan-20 22:13:36

Look up vegan keto, I try to follow these hashtags for inspiration. I fast until lunchtime, eat 5 seed crackers instead of breads or pastas, lots of Buddha bowls or soups for lunches and I tend to stick to curries/stir fries in the evening. And a green smoothie a day.

Very little processed food or meat substitutes. I do a lot of batch preparing as I don't have much time.

LeGrandBleu Mon 06-Jan-20 07:17:06

@WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0I don't like labels, but if I had to use one, I would be a WFPB.

I am the only vegan in the family, but I don't cook two separate meals. We are French so we would usually have a couple salads ( a green lettuce, grated carrots with parsley, cucumber with dill, green beans with red onions and mini roma tomatoes, ....) and a couple of cooked/roasted veg (braised carrots, oven roasted onions, sauté spinach with garlic, ...) and then I would cook a steak or a fish for them and have some tofu or lentils for me.

Sometimes, we will all have the same meal, a risotto and they will add some parmiggiano for them and I would sprinkle nutritional yeast on mine.
Many dishes are accidentally vegan, such as polenta or a chickpeas salad and we will all have it.

I love soups, from the humble minestrone the whole family will have to more asian ones my kids are not so crazy about. However we all love the French onion soup.

I follow a plant based diet for health reasons, so my focus is really on eating the maximum amount of vegetables and the greatest variety so I will prepare at least 20-25 different vegetables in a week. Which is a lot of work as some vegetables will cook twice, first steamed then sautéed or added to the filling of samosa, or similar.

I always have some black rice / quinoa in the fridge so can have a couple of spoonfuls with my lunch.

I make my own version of vegan parmesan with a cup of cashews, 2 heaped tbls of nutritional yeast, onion powder and salt, and it is my non-vegan DD who puts it in every single thing she has in the plate, even on her saltimbocca (totally non vegan).

For pasta sauces, there are tons of options, with pre-fried eggplant for a vegan pasta alla norma, to a simple peas and passata pasta, or the classic tomatoes and basil.

When we have guests, my tofu fingers are always very successful amongst non-vegans so as you ask for recipe here it is:

Buy super hard tofu (I buy mine in the Chinese supermarkets ) , empty water and wrap in 4-5 sheets of kitchen paper to absorb moisture, cut in1cm slices than in half to have fingers.
In a low and long dish prepare 6 tbls soy sauce and 1 of extra virgin olive oil, 1 of nutritional yeast and if you have it in the house, a couple drops of liquid smoke. place the fingers one by one and move around to distribute the marinade and leave aside
Meanwhile prepare coating.
Put 1 cup almonds, 1 tbls mixed herbs herbs, 2 tbls smoked paprika and 1 teaspoon garlic in blender at max speed until all crushed. Add salt and pepper to taste
Put baking paper on an oven tray on turn oven on 180-200

Put two tbls pf the mix in a plate and press the tofu finger on all sides and put on the baking tray. Repeat until finished.
Do not put all the coating at once in a plate, because it turns wet and moist and won’t adhere to tofu, add it each time you put a new slice.
Put tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes.
Serve with a dash of sweet child in a tiny bowl for those who like it.
What is left of coating is nice on salads.

I don't eat many curries or asian dishes because I didn't grow up eating them and I prefer the single and unique flavour of a single vegetable prepared in a very specific way more than the combination of veggies in a dish such as curry or stir fries. I will of course make them from time to time but more to get rid a vegetables I don't have enough of to make a vegetable dish than because I crave that flavour.
I do however make a ratatouille or peperonata occasionally

Most recipes I prepare are not labelled vegan, it just happens that there is no meat/fish/egg/dairy in them either because the original recipe didn't have any or because I swap the butter for oil or leave the meat out.

With all the allergies around today, I often bake "vegan" for kids my DC have invited at home and after having tried all the possible alternatives I now use egg replacer powder for eggs (but you need to add some almond milk to get more moisture as eggs not only glue together but bring liquid as well) and I use extra virgin oil instead of butter in the same amount os slightly less. By adding a bit of natural vanilla essence you don't taste the oil.
Vegan baking is very white compared to classic baking as eggs also brings a yellow tint, so be careful when you have biscuits in the oven as they darken in a different day. Don't judge if they are cooked based on colour only.
For all the chocolate based deserts, I use high quality cocoa powder instead of the cooking chocolate listed and a bit of almond milk and icing sugar.

I am not sure deserts belong to a WFPB diet but with three teenagers in the house, and a ton of their friends every week, there is a lot of baking happening and at least once a week vegan baking.

ppeatfruit Mon 06-Jan-20 08:41:10

LeGrand Of course tofu is processed . A good way of getting hard tofu, for frying, is to freeze the normal type (it goes solid when defrosted).

I buy hardly any ready made plant products except soya and almond milk. We do buy locally made organic spelt bread , though I do make my own too.

I make my own morning smoothies from seasonal fruit , linseeds etc.

I also eat a fresh green salad every day. with endive , grated carrots, lettuce, onions and herbs. I have an olive oil, malt flakes, tamari, fresh lemon juice dressing. on it.

I'm about to make a fresh pear\fig, and ground almond tart. Mixed with lemon juice and ginger. As a treat!

LeGrandBleu Mon 06-Jan-20 10:35:06

@ppeatfruit minimally processed food such as tofu, whole grain flour, a bottle of passata or even 100% almond butter are totally part of a whole food diet as is the soy and almond milk or the tamari you mention, so I don't really see the point of your comment.

I also said I didn't stick to a label.

There is a huge difference between fake bacon and tofu

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Mon 06-Jan-20 11:17:11

LeGrandBlue your food sounds amazing!

Going to give your parm a go and you have upped my tofu game significantly

Thanks so much

It’s a steep learning curve but I’m enjoying cooking again having fallen into a rut for the past few years.

While I do love Asian flavours I agree that there is so much you can go with every day vegetable

Breakfast today was chia seeds, oats and ground flax soaked overnight in oat milk and served with mixed fruit. Good start to the day 😁

ppeatfruit Mon 06-Jan-20 12:03:52

No I don't label myself either Le grand I didn't mean to criticise blush

I eat whole organic pnut and or almond butter on spelt toast with the salad usually. But it's so cold I've made a parsnip\carrot , onion and celery soup with B12 yeast flakes and homemade veg stock for lunch . I use olive oil instead of spread on the toast

AppleJane Mon 06-Jan-20 13:04:59

My ultimate aim would be WFPB. At the moment we are about 50:50.

Molly Patrick has a lot of recipes here:

cleanfooddirtygirl.com/recipe-index

I've not signed up for the batch subscription service, I just browse the free recipes but I did receive the free batch example and I could imagine it working for some families.

Plus she's funny and swears quite a lot so I look forward to reading her Saturday email.

WinnerWinnerChickenDinner0 Tue 07-Jan-20 14:16:21

AppleJane that’s a great website, I’ve already bookmarked a few recipes, thanks

I wish I could do 50:50 but I tend towards all or nothing so have to go hard core at it.
It’s a lot of work but I’m definitely feeling alot better. And my I thought diet was pretty healthy beforehand. But I was eating meat most days, had a major dairy habit and the constant tiredness was making me turn to convenience food too often

AppleJane Tue 07-Jan-20 19:12:49

We've been vegan a couple of years now. Once veganuary is over I'm hoping to drop down the processed vegan and increase home cooking so we're more like 75:25 wfpb versus vegan processed. But I can't resist all the new offerings smile

Health wasn't my main motivator but I was very surprised when things went away! Being middle aged I just thought stiff joints etc were part of getting old. Totally gone now! They say dairy causes inflammation. It's amazing what we'll accept as 'that's just the way my body is'.

Glad you like the recipes!

ppeatfruit Wed 08-Jan-20 09:49:21

I hadn't really heard of WFPB as a 'thing'. But have basically lived like it for many years (my family history is not good so I thought I'd prevent any bad stuff!!) , I'm much healthier than my friends and family (even many younger ones). I've recently given up sugar, including plant based like maple syrup and find it has boosted my health extraordinarily. BUT I noticed that relaxing the no sugar thing at Xmas has not helped !!!

That tiredness\exhausted feeling after breakfast has returned Also a bit of achiness in my right arm .

AppleJane Thu 09-Jan-20 13:08:09

@ppeatfruit if you can give up sugar for any length of time I take my hat off to you! smile

I once gave up sugar for 6 months - blimey was it hard! Harder than giving up cigarettes, coffee, alcohol, men, you name it! Probably even hardcore drugs grin

No wonder Americans are addicted to high-fructose corn syrup! Consumers are blamed for being overweight but it's the big companies putting all this rubbish into everything. Rant over! blush

ppeatfruit Fri 10-Jan-20 12:58:59

I know exactly what you mean AppleJane Congratulations on doing it for 6 months shock It's not easy!!!!!! I did it because I had a very painful tooth and couldn't eat ANYTHING for about 4 days so I thought well I've given up my low sugar dark chocolate after lunch (that I knew was getting to the addictive stage, IMO and E chocolate is ,if anything, worse to give up than sugar we are all so used to it WITH some sugar even if it's a little grin )
So i tried doing without completely , as I said I don't eat much anyway.. I also don't drink a daily cup of coffee because I don't like the feeling of being 'controlled' by anything !!!!

My mum says I have a will of iron!! But the better feeling, the slim stomach ( I can do sit ups which I never used to be able to do and my skin and eyes look so much better it's worth it !) Definitely tricky at Xmas time and going out though!

ppeatfruit Fri 10-Jan-20 13:12:53

Though talking about the Americans (you're sooo right) but even before the corn syrup scandal their cake recipes are still much higher in sugar than ours. It probably has it's infancy in the sugar plantations, and the ultra enriching of the slave/sugar barons. it's enough to make one really enjoy boycotting the branded stuff grin

AppleJane Sat 11-Jan-20 08:55:45

Yes I guess sugar and meat are similar like that. In days gone by they were both seen as treats. Meat on a Sunday, cakes on birthdays. Now everything is done to such a big scale and when corners are cut to increase production that leads to more suffering.

Avoiding big brands is a good shout smile

abitoflight Sat 11-Jan-20 09:07:11

A bit of topic but from reading OP, I've been thinking for a while that maybe a section in feed the world for vegetarian and vegan recipes?
I'd love a thread of vegetarian or vegan main courses to browse for inspiration

mrsjackrussell Sat 11-Jan-20 09:14:42

Great thread. Iv been into non processed food for a while for health reasons and now vegan.

My downfall is not planning in advance.
Iv been making a lot of recipes from the Bosh book and freezing.

Chilli curries soups.
My meat eating dh loves the food and even asked to join me some days.

A good website is hedi hearts.

Noeuf Sat 11-Jan-20 09:18:03

I think this is me, kids are veggie and live on Quorn but I love vegetables jacket potatoes etc. I have some good vegan cook books which have curry, baked aubergine etc - find a good one and you'll be grand.

ppeatfruit Sat 11-Jan-20 09:56:34

I still use Hugh FW's River Cottage Veg Everyday.

Plus a very old copy of a very old book called Jane Grigson's Vegetable Book which despite her sometimes strange scoffing at some veg. being seen as 'healthy' (maybe it's because at one time children were force fed veg. for that reason rather than their deliciousness and of course people used to, and sometimes still do, ruin veg with overcooking) is great because it's in alphabetical order of all the veg. helpful for storage etc. etc.

ppeatfruit Sat 11-Jan-20 10:05:19

Great recipes and a good index too.

mrsjack I know what you mean by planning. I keep quite a few veg stews\curries in the freezer for those times and often whole org cooked rice and or quinoa in the fridge (it keeps very well for a week or so).

If I'm really stuck (esp while caring for dm, she only has a microwave, no cooker and a small freezer) then it's pea and onion soup which is fab, I use the yeast flakes for a stock

Oblomov20 Sat 11-Jan-20 10:28:07

I too liked apple Jane's link.

AppleJane Sat 11-Jan-20 14:50:03

Being organised is the key! And creating a good shopping list once you’ve decided on the meals you are going to cook in bulk.

I’m giving myself January off as I’m all baked out after Christmas and there are lots of exciting new vegan products to try but once I get back on it this is what I do:

At the beginning of the month I cook five different recipes. I usually cook for 4 people so I times the recipe by 4 to give me 16 portions. 4 portions are served immediately and the others go in the freezer so we can have that meal once a week for the next month. That then gives us 5 days’ worth of healthy meals each week and 2 days to grab beans on toast or eat out etc.

I try to make sure the protein source in each meal is different and also vary the sides they are served with so for example:

Chickpea curry with roasted veg served with brown rice
Mixed bean chilli served with jacket sweet potato
Teriyaki tofu and cashew nuts served with noodles
Root veg and bean stew served with dumplings or mash potatoes and brussel sprouts
Mushroom and lentil tomato sauce served with pasta
Lentil cottage pie served with steamed veg

I’ve detailed on the thread called ‘simple vegan meal plans’ how I prepare and freeze mash potatoes etc so once these meals are thawed out it’s very quick and easy to reheat and serve! smile

LeGrandBleu Sun 12-Jan-20 13:53:52

I am not sure quorn belongs to a whole food plant based. You really need a factory to make it , so you are not exactly eating a plant but something out of a factory plant.

I also think it is a lot easier to be WFPB, because you don;t need a lot of prep or organisation.
Plenty of veggies in the fridge, dry or canned chickpeas , beans or lentils, good tofu and why not tempeh, a nice variety of vinegars and mustard.

I am not a big fan of "one-pot-meal" for lack of a better name, so stew or curry are ok once a month/fortnight, but I so much prefer single ingredients and most of the time, what I eat does;t have a name.

I like sauté tempeh in a pan with a bit of onion, oven roasted tofu (a bowl, 3 or 4 tbls of soy sauce, 1 of nutritional yeast, again if available in the house, a bit of liquid smoke, then grab a block of firm tofu, wrap it in kitchen paper to remove moisture, then holding block in one hand and with a fork in the other start making holes in the tofu so it crumbles. Mix well and put on a tray in the oven for 20 min. Eat like that or if you can resist the goodness use it as a substitute for mince in bolognaise).

I also like to eat my own fermented food and sauerkraut does;t really go well with stews and curries.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »