Talk

Advanced search

Is a tofu press worth buying?

(6 Posts)
NannyR Tue 31-Dec-19 12:03:25

I eat a fair bit of tofu and usually wrap it in a clean teatowel with a heavy pan on top to drain it before cooking. I've had my eye on a tofu press for a while but thought it was pricy for a few bits of plastic, however I got some Amazon vouchers for christmas and thought I might get one.
If you have one, does it make any difference to the texture of the tofu or is it the same as the teatowel/pan method?

Alez Thu 02-Jan-20 15:24:49

I wouldn't buy a plastic one, but they may be better if made of a more durable material. I have one (from amazon, it's green and white) and although it does a much better job of squeezing out the liquid from tofu than the old put something heavy on top method, the plastic parts attaching the elastic to the box are broken on both sides. The first broke the second time I used it, and the second after about a year of irregular use. It still works (I wedge a can in the top to hold all the bits in place), but it seems silly to pay for something that breaks so easily.

Alez Thu 02-Jan-20 15:26:24

Sorry, wasn't clear enough - I do think the texture is better than the heavy stuff on top method, but not heaps better. I prefer to buy firmer tofu instead that doesn't need squeezing e.g. tofoo tofu instead of cauldron tofu.

NannyR Thu 02-Jan-20 18:40:39

Thank you, it was the green and white one I was looking at but it has such mixed reviews. I think I will stick to what I'm doing at the moment.

potbellend Fri 10-Jan-20 23:40:25

Used once then left in cupboard

lemonjam Sat 11-Jan-20 09:42:40

I use it (the green and white one) and do find it good but have started just buying tofoo instead of cauldron which doesn’t need pressing and is yum!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »