Talk

Advanced search

Gluten free vegan?

(10 Posts)
wheresmyhairytoe Thu 26-Dec-19 20:24:06

Am looking at cutting out meat, I already don't eat dairy due to intolerance.
I'm also intolerant to wheat so worrying I'll struggle with things to eat, especially when out.
Any tips?

Esspee Thu 26-Dec-19 20:30:46

With such a restrictive diet you will find it difficult unless preparing it yourself. Research vegan restaurants as they should be able to cope.

FGSJoanWhatsWrongWithYou Thu 26-Dec-19 20:32:36

Asian food usually works best when out: rice, veg curry, rice noodles, tofu.

Biscusting Thu 26-Dec-19 20:33:50

A friend is gluten/wheat free and vegan with a nut allergy thrown in for good measure. We eat at each other’s places rather than out.

Ricekrispie22 Fri 27-Dec-19 05:47:30

Pret is a free-from foodie’s paradise, and so much of their menu has vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free options, you’re bound to find something to suit your tastes.
Carluccios’s has offered gluten free pasta since 2008 and have a couple of vegan dishes. They also offer a mouth-watering array of gluten-free desserts to end a perfect evening.
In my opinion, Zizzi’s have managed to create the ultimate gluten-free pizza dough base. I am a huge fan of these fluffy and doughy pizza bases, topped with vegan cheese. They even have GF dough balls, Gf pasta and a whole range of GF vegan gelatos.
Las Iguanas is another one that is superb for free-from options. Everything from tapas to risottos made with quinoa. I love their beetroot, cranberry and avocado salad, veggie chilli and mango sorbet.
Wagamama offer a gluten-free rice noodle alternative that can be substituted into the majority of their dishes.
The menu at Pho is almost entirely GF, with only a handful of dishes that aren’t. Pho offers a range of vegan and vegetarian mains too, so you’ll never be stuck for options.
Prezzo is worth mentioning too - a massive Gf vegan choice.

headinthecloud Tue 31-Dec-19 11:25:22

I'm in the same boat. I'm a coeliac with a dairy allergy. I'm going to try veganuary and see how I get on! I can imagine it will be more eating at home than eating out but we've had an indulgent Christmas so may do us a favour in that respect too.

potbellend Fri 10-Jan-20 23:39:34

Gluten free vegan here, going out is very restrictive but doable however I find I can make much nicer things at home now

Bimblesalong Fri 10-Jan-20 23:46:43

Vegetarian here, with gluten free husband who is allergic to eggs. So ... I have a meal box delivery from mindful chef, gluten-free vegan and that covers a few nights. Otherwise I cook from ottolenghi or from Indian cookbooks. No problem!
Don’t forget the b vitamins and enjoy the food smile

vincettenoir Tue 21-Jan-20 08:13:06

Lots of slow cooker meals work well with rice, chillis, currys, tagines etc. For eating out most Asian cuisines would work well for you. Even Italian would be good as they always have some gf pasta. I eat a lot of polenta. Add some stock and herbs and it’s a nice stodgy complement to a stew, plus it’s ready in about 3 minutes.

CodenameVillanelle Tue 21-Jan-20 08:16:11

Do you follow Jenna marbles on YouTube? Anyway she makes funny videos which isn't the point but her boyfriend Julian solomita has chrohns and they are vegan. He has a channel which he does a lot of cookery things on, you should check it out. He's pretty funny, and the food looks amazing.
I don't see why you couldn't be gluten free vegan (though I'm not an expert on what contains gluten) I would have thought it would be quite possible. Cutting gluten is the hard bit, once you've done that you just adjust your meals to be vegan!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »