Talk

Advanced search

Soft/liquid high calorie food

(19 Posts)
IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Sun 20-Oct-19 16:50:11

Had a bone graft last week and it’s pretty sore still, I’m going to be on a liquid diet for probably another week. Any thoughts of nice food? Am feeling very weak from lack of calories so needs to be densely calorific as I also struggle to eat a lot in one go.

Caveats are I’m vegan and I live abroad and am too pissed off with it all to cook much so convenience is a biggie. I love soup so any comforting soup ideas is a good - not allowed to drink through a straw but maybe thick smoothies I can eat with a small spoon like you would soup?

BeanBag7 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:57:41

Butternut squash soup is always lovely and filling, and very warming especially if you put a sprinkling of chilli seeds in.

Frozen banana is great for thickening up a smoothie, to make it spoonable. My favourite combo is frozen banana, almond milk, almond (or peanut) butter and a tiny bit of cocoa powder. Not the healthiest but it's delicious and the banana and nut butter and quite calorific.

ilovetofu Sun 20-Oct-19 16:58:35

Nut milk / butter?

BeanBag7 Sun 20-Oct-19 16:59:25

New Covent Garden have a vegan Spiced Pumpkin soups their special soup of the month for october, looks scrummy!

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Sun 20-Oct-19 17:07:13

Thanks guys - def need comfort food! Can’t NCG soup unfortunately and being in America I’m sick of the sight of pumpkin anything by mid October but butternut is always good!

muddledmidget Sun 20-Oct-19 17:09:57

Cauliflower cheese soup is delicious and filling (and high calorie!) or broccoli and Stilton, also hot chocolate made with a plant milk, can also add extra cream to it for extra fat and calories. Mashed potato can be made quite runny with the addition of butter and cream.

muddledmidget Sun 20-Oct-19 17:11:17

Sorry, thought I was on vegetarian not vegan, in that case, everything without the cheese and cream above, with nutritional yeast added for extra nutrition and flavour to the soups and mashed potato!

Spied Sun 20-Oct-19 17:12:38

Plain old tomato soup withgrated cheese sprinkled insmile

Spied Sun 20-Oct-19 17:13:11

Oops

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Sun 20-Oct-19 17:14:54

Don’t worry - I can get cheese alternatives!!!

ilovetofu Sun 20-Oct-19 17:16:24

Lentil soup
Pea soup
Banana & nut milk smoothie
Porridge with loads of maple syrup

ilovetofu Sun 20-Oct-19 17:16:46

Mashed potatoes

PestyMachtubernahme Sun 20-Oct-19 17:25:30

Silken tofu can be mashed up and consumed on a liquid diet.
Add a sauce of peanut butter, tahini, soy sauce and orange juice. Just heat and it gets thick, adjust juice as necessary.

Olives and walnuts stuffed in the liquidiser with a splash of oil can be made quite liquid (add passata to vary). Packs taste and calories if you are not eating much.

Beanbag your smoothie sounds fab and reasonably healthy.

Ginfordinner Sun 20-Oct-19 22:53:23

Why are you not allowed to use a straw?

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Sun 20-Oct-19 23:41:54

Because you have to do everything possible to prevent removing the blood clot that has formed and sucking or spitting could dislodge it

Ginfordinner Mon 21-Oct-19 08:39:36

Good luck with the reovery. Would it help to increase your vitamin D/calcium intake?

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Mon 21-Oct-19 11:49:36

It might do - doctor didn’t mention it but I’ll look into it, thanks

cricketmum84 Mon 21-Oct-19 12:01:45

I've just made a gorgeous vegan super green soup. I used my soup maker so just threw everything in there but would work as well all done in a pan and then blended.

Makes 4 portions:
Full head of broccoli
1 cup frozen garden peas
1 bag baby spinach
1 tin coconut milk
500ml vegetable stock
Bunch of mint
1 clove garlic
About 2 inches ginger
Juice of a lime
1 chilli or a teaspoon of crushed chilli

It's so warming and comforting and absolutely full of goodness!

ildaogden Mon 28-Oct-19 09:19:40

My favourite smoothie, banana, nut milk of your choice, pack in baby spinach, spoonful of nut butter, dash of olive oil. Whizz up. Hope you heal soon.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »