Talk

Advanced search

Awful digestion since going full vegetarian

(13 Posts)
twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 01-Oct-19 20:14:49

I know this isn’t vegan but it seems the most sensible place for help!
I went vegetarian in June having gradually cut down on meat and fish. My diet hasn’t changed much at all as it wa gradual and I’m not replacing with lots of fake meat or anything.
I have such bad wind and constantly feel like I need a poo and can’t go. Why?? I drink lots of water too. It’s so uncomfortable and I don’t know what to do sad

LeGrandBleu Tue 01-Oct-19 20:53:37

Don't tell us what you don't eat (meat + fish) but what you DO eat so maybe we can help.
DO you eat refined grains such as white bread, pasta or a lot of crisps, chips?
If you buy wholemeal bread, have a look at the ingredients as the majority of brands actually use white flour and add wheat bran which is terribly irritating to the gut.
If eating legumes, do you soak and cook them properly?
Do you eat quorn?
Anything new in your diet? coconut yoghurt or similar?

Open your fridge and pantry and tell us what you eat.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 01-Oct-19 21:02:58

On a normal day - porridge for breakfast with cows milk and black coffee
Apple or banana when I get to work. Oat cakes for a snack through the day.
Sandwich with seeded bread and hummus or cheese in and butter, apple, malt loaf or cereal bar
Dinner is normally veg curry/Bologness/chilli or similar made from vegetables that are cooked and lentils as main ingredients. With a white carb. Then maybe Greek yogurt if still hungry

That’s not changed much at all since I used to eat meat except the sauces would have meat in than cooked veg or lentils. But from approx March to June I gradually moved them to it so that’s not a shock either.
Lots of black coffee during day - that’s normal too!
It’s just weird. And horrible.
When you say soak legumes would you do that with tinned ones? As I don’t do that

LeGrandBleu Tue 01-Oct-19 21:50:45

Well there is definitely nothing shocking there. If I were to change something it would be your lunch and have veggies instead of sandwich and the malt loaf/cereal, because you have far from enough in your daily menu.They only appear at dinner inside a lentil-based dish which includes some sort of white carb. Have a salad or a soup. You also seem to snack a lot or eat in between meals. Maybe it is the constant intake of food that is to blame? How many of the oats cakes do you have in a day?
Or do you eat lentils every single day? I don't have them more than twice a week and no, if canned, they do not need soaking. Try having quinoa one night, tofu the other, chickpeas and so on. If you are having hummus at lunch you shouldn't eat lentils the same night. Too many legumes in a day can be inflammatory to your gut.

daffodilrosedaisy Tue 01-Oct-19 21:54:13

It’s probably just that you’re eating more fibre and your body is adjusting to it. Meat and fish contains no fibre at all, so as soon as you cut them out and replace with veggies instead you’re increasing your fibre intake... it’s why beans make people fart! Your body will get used to it, don’t worry - when I went vegan my digestive system was actually much better - think I was intolerant to dairy - but I know some people who have had similar symptoms as you when they went vegan for the same reasons (confirmed by docs). Hope that helps!

If it persists for a long time - maybe 3 months of total vegetarian diet - pop to the docs as you may be GI or something. Possibly even DI like me - I used to suffer terrible IBS and acne and period pain until I went vegan. Good luck!

KatherineJaneway Tue 01-Oct-19 21:55:50

Not a lot of fruit though

twolittleboysonetiredmum Tue 01-Oct-19 22:13:05

No not lentils everyday - maybe twice a week? There probably could be more veg involved, good point.
I eat about 3 pieces of fruit a day - I think that’s enough or that would cause problems in itself. I don’t have a constant stream of food - I eta breakfast at 6 so have something before teaching at 9 then lunch at 12. I don’t get dinner until 7 and run before so I have oatcakes and/or fruit in the pm so I’ve something to run on. Does snacking upset things as well?

KatherineJaneway Tue 01-Oct-19 22:25:58

Depends what fruit though. Some fruits helps with bowel movements more than others

MIdgebabe Thu 03-Oct-19 16:13:06

Do you drain the tinned pulses and possibly rinse? I know some people get problems if they don't ditch the cooking water if they cook pulses from dried.

slipperywhensparticus Thu 03-Oct-19 16:15:19

Oats can cause this can you switch out your porridge?

Teddybear45 Thu 03-Oct-19 16:15:42

It’s the fibre. You need to drink a lot more water than normal to digest it - suggest 2-3 litres over the whole day as a minimim.

twolittleboysonetiredmum Fri 04-Oct-19 21:14:53

Thanks for suggestions - I’ve taken soup the last few days for lunch and upped the water and am feeling marginally better. definitely going more often which is probably why. Fingers crossed I’ve found the solution!

Cherrypicker01 Mon 07-Oct-19 16:29:07

Your body will get used to the fibre! It took me a couple of months. I’m still funny with lentils after I eat them because I have them rarely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »