Talk

Advanced search

Allergic to beans and nuts

(12 Posts)
Grasspigeons Fri 09-Aug-19 11:34:25

I'm gradually reducing animal products but struggle a bit because im allergic to some beans and my child is allergic to nuts.
I can eat pulses like lentils but can you all give me some ideas of protein things thst arent nuts or beans that we can eat together.

ppeatfruit Fri 09-Aug-19 13:50:55

Yes I sympathise, is he allergic to ALL nuts including almonds? I can eat those with no problems. I get bad reactions to cashews and brazils, oh and coconut and chickpeas blow me out. Not terrible though!

I like cannellini beans, They're lovely in a homemade dip.

Yeast flakes|and marmite of course are very high in protein I use them as stock in veg. soups, all green veg have protein (most of us forget that). Of course tofu is good but it is bean. I only eat organic tofu though.

Ricekrispie22 Sat 10-Aug-19 09:19:20

Are you allergic to soya?

Ricekrispie22 Sat 10-Aug-19 09:20:01

Quinoa

Grasspigeons Sat 10-Aug-19 09:25:17

Thanks - i can eat soya and he can eat peanuts and walnuts. Ive not heard of yeast flakes. I will look into those

genome Sat 10-Aug-19 09:27:55

Seitan (vital wheat gluten) can be made into various meat substitutes, lots of recipes to should be plenty without the nuts/beans that are a problem. There is vegan Quorn as well.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Aug-19 09:38:34

Peanut butter is my go to ingredient for a lot of things! I put it in brownies, make lovely dressings with it and have it with toast or ryvita and olive oil plus salad for lunch. It's also high in protein. I only eat Meridian organic Pnut butter it has no sugar or palm oil in it.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Aug-19 09:42:48

You can marinate medium tofu, cut in long cubes, then fry or bake gently and add the pnut dressing to it afterwards.

Grasspigeons Sat 10-Aug-19 09:43:45

These sound tasty.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Aug-19 10:00:12

Yes very YUM Grass grin You make the dressing with lime/lemon juice, olive oil and use tofu yoghurt if you want to for extra creaminess.

DtPeabodysLoosePants Sat 10-Aug-19 10:08:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DtPeabodysLoosePants Sat 10-Aug-19 10:10:11

Apologies @ppeatfruit I've asked for that to be deleted blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »