Talk

Advanced search

Quorn poisoning?

(33 Posts)
thannyflaps Sat 15-Jun-19 19:59:30

Hi guys,

So I have been a vegetarian for a few years now. I have a bit of a love hate relationship with Quorn products. Sometimes they make me quite bloated or gassy, sometimes no negative effect at all.

However! On Thursday night I had Quorn Chipotle goujons. I believe they are new as I haven't seen them in supermarkets before.

Yesterday I spent the day with severe stomach cramps and an extremely low mood. Today I have had the nastiest diarrhoea I have had in years - since before I was veggie (food poisoning from a chicken burrito in London!!)

So that's 36 plus hours of symptoms which have only just started to level out

My question is - is it possible the Quorn could have caused this? Has anyone else had this sort of reaction from a Quorn product?

P.S when I say diarrhoea, I don't use the term lightly for dramatic effect, I mean violent bowl painting spray, at one point it sounded like the toilet was flushing however it was my rear end EXPLODING

Queenoftheashes Sat 15-Jun-19 20:00:52

I know some people complain of quorn intolerance although I’m ok with it. It sounds more extreme in your case though, maybe you had a bug?

Pringlemunchers Sat 15-Jun-19 20:03:30

Or it could be a bug ?

Pringlemunchers Sat 15-Jun-19 20:03:58

What did you eat with it ?

Bluerussian Sat 15-Jun-19 20:05:04

Quorn gives me diarrhoea.

Pringlemunchers Sat 15-Jun-19 20:05:32

Also , it is quite hard to tell, it could be days before. I would wait till you are well , then try it again.

WhoWants2Know Sat 15-Jun-19 20:06:45

Were they spicy? Sometimes I get a bad tummy if I eat chillies.

NottonightJosepheen Sat 15-Jun-19 20:08:48

Yes. My vegetarian friend has a violent reaction (throws up and hot and cold sweats) when she eats Quorn.
It's a well known thing. Some people are very sensitive to fungus!

NottonightJosepheen Sat 15-Jun-19 20:09:48

She, obviously, does not eat it anymore!

IWantMyHatBack Sat 15-Jun-19 20:10:01

Yep, could be. I'm OK with really small amounts but too much and I'm very ill. I avoid it completely now.

LuluBellaBlue Sat 15-Jun-19 20:10:41

Yes!
I’ve been hospitalised from it shock
Hot / cold sweats, violent sickness and diarrhoea.
The time I was taken to hospital I’d been a bit unwell anyway and think it sent me over the edge as couldn’t stand and had double vision.

Walktwomoons Sat 15-Jun-19 20:12:06

Quorn is gross... Mushrooms,beans and lentils are much nicer!

Hefzi Sat 15-Jun-19 20:12:57

I can't eat Quorn at all - it gives me hot and cold shakes, fevers, horrific diarrhoea and explosive vomiting grin. I have similar with TVP - type meat substitutes too.

I can tolerate small amounts of mushrooms, but more than a Portobello cap and I get the same thing.

Fatted Sat 15-Jun-19 20:14:55

I'm not vegetarian. But I can't eat any Quorn or fungus without having a reaction. It's the most painful indigestion I have ever experienced. Apparently it's really common, but I didn't find this out until I started telling people about my own experience.

MabelBee Sat 15-Jun-19 20:18:37

Oh yes, vomiting and diarrhoea. I waited a few weeks, tried a different Quorn product and had the same result.

lotusbell Sat 15-Jun-19 20:19:16

Have you had this with any of the other Quorn products? Watching carefully as I bought these today for my flexitarian DS12!

Grumpasaurus Sat 15-Jun-19 20:21:18

I am the same, quorn gives me horrific gas, bloating, and diarrhoea!

MockneyReject Sat 15-Jun-19 20:21:50

I reckon about half my family/friends are vegetarian/vegan (so a good sized sample for anecdata!) and that about half of us experience some degree of unpleasantness after eating Quorn products. One friend reacts like OP describes; at the other end of the scale, me and my son get bloating/squits.
The other son loves the stuff and has no problem with it.

Banhaha Sat 15-Jun-19 20:24:23

Just to add to the voices of Quorn intolerance! It gives me cramps and I feel very unwell after eating it. I didn't get it as bad as you OP did you eat lots?

BuildBuildings Sat 15-Jun-19 20:26:46

I'm eating quorn right now. Been eating it for years. Never heard of this. But others seem to. I'd think it was more likely to be something else.

Noeuf Sat 15-Jun-19 20:29:10

Have up quorn after four weeks of d and v. It took ages to work out what was prolonging it.

Feelingwalkedover Sat 15-Jun-19 20:36:21

I’m vegan and I don’t touch the stuff ..to many upset stomachs

IHaveBrilloHair Sat 15-Jun-19 20:40:35

Quorn does that to me, horrible stuff.

FusionChefGeoff Sat 15-Jun-19 20:48:49

You can get food poisoning from cross contamination or seemingly 'benign' food like salad and sandwiches so it might not necessarily be the quorum unless that's the only thing you ate?...

thannyflaps Sat 15-Jun-19 21:14:31

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your answers! Genuinely interesting to read them all.

Just some context - I was greedy and ate a pack of the goujons, I say there were about 6-7 in the pack.

They were not particularly spicy, to be honest they were surprisingly devoid in flavour!

What's strange is how wiped out I am from whatever it is - whether it is the Quorn or not - I may as well have eaten a bad meat product!!

@lotusbell My advice would be to get your Ds to try a small bit before going the whole hog. When you say DS12 do you mean your twelfth child or he is 12?? Just out of interest!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »