Talk

Advanced search

Leafy greens recipes

(11 Posts)
IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Tue 04-Jun-19 19:49:40

We need more leafy greens in our diets - any family friendly (one v fussy DC here) recipes knocking about?

sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 04-Jun-19 20:58:26

what about cheesy pasta bake, throw in some broccoli and spinach at the end x

sleepismysuperpower1 Tue 04-Jun-19 21:00:21

sorry just saw that this was posted in the vegan section. I have made this once with vegan cheese before and it turned out fine x

IJumpedAboardAPirateShip Tue 04-Jun-19 21:37:09

Lol, thankyou!

BabCNesbitt Tue 04-Jun-19 21:47:35

We regularly do a sort of chuck-it-all-in stir fry with kale, olive oil, garlic, smoked paprika, red wine or lemon juice and cooked spaghetti, and a ton of nutritional yeast tossed in at the end. It doesn’t sound particularly impressive but it’s very tasty!

Ricekrispie22 Wed 05-Jun-19 07:05:59

I normally put spinach in this macaroni cheese www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pasta-recipes/vegan-mac-n-cheese/

Spinach and chickpea curry www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/1260646/chickpea-tomato-and-spinach-curry

Waitrose also do vegan spinach ravioli www.waitrose.com/ecom/products/waitrose-vegan-spinach-ravioli/537781-672447-672448

plantsplantsplants Thu 06-Jun-19 07:41:24

I don't like leafy greens IN many things, but have found kale crisps (literally just a ton of kale leaves bunged in the oven for somewhere between 5-10 mins, with a bit of oil or spices or both) a great way to get loads of greens in fussy (albeit adult) eaters, and have found serving most meals with a tiny, non-threatening side salad topped with something they like helps too.

Paraballa Sat 22-Jun-19 21:47:58

I do a recipe where I cut finely everything green in the fridge then stir fry it with garlic, add water after a few mins, stick lid on and steam, then stir fry again, and eat with rice. Quick and delicious. Sometimes I add chilli flakes.

Lessstressedhemum Thu 27-Jun-19 21:56:26

Beans and greens - dice 2 onions and 4 cloves of garlic. Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan. Add onions and garlic and cook gently until soft. Add 2 tins of cannelini beans, drained and rinsed, and a pinch of chilli flakes. Cook for about 5 minutes. Add 500gms of spinach or kale and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Cook until greens are wilted and any water has mostly cooked off. Season well and serve with fresh rustic bread.
This in one of my favourite meals. I often add a bit of dulse with the spinach for iodine and usually top with some nutritional yeast, instead of parmesan.

LordProfFekkoThePenguinPhD Thu 27-Jun-19 21:59:36

Spring greens - slice and steam - grate lemon zest and squidgy of the juice - bloody lovely.

DonPablo Thu 27-Jun-19 22:01:44

I always buy washed spinach and whenever we have pasta I chop the whole bag up and add it just before serving. So it's not cooked but does wilt a bit. You could do it with a rice dish too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »