Talk

Advanced search

Vegan sausages on the BBQ?

(9 Posts)
TeamEponine Fri 24-May-19 12:58:25

I'm increasingly moving towards becoming vegan, but with the weather becoming nicer, DH (dedicated carnivore!) tends to BBQ most weekends.

I've been looking into vegan options, and fancy trying the Linda McCartney chorizo sausages. They're frozen, so I can just take out a couple for me. Stupid question - are the best BBQ-ed from frozen, or defrosted?

Any other hints and tips for a decent vegan sausage to chuck on the BBQ?

avocadosrus Fri 24-May-19 13:04:37

You need to get shroomdogs from Sainsburys IMO they are the best vegan sausage, they're in the chiller section but you can freeze them and cook from frozen.

TeamEponine Fri 24-May-19 13:14:17

Thanks - but I'm firmly of the opinion of mushrooms are pure evil! The only food that I don't like is mushrooms, which is a slight challenge when moving towards veganism.

I love chorizo, so I was really hopeful for the LMcC ones...

madrush Fri 24-May-19 13:18:49

I find Linda McCartney's sausages dry out on the BBQ. Cauldron foods are slightly better. If you're desperate, I'd try defrosted but they'll need gentle handling and cooking for as short as possible. Our best vegan bbqs are with veg like aubergine, courgette, peppers, mushrooms (obviously not for you!) sliced thick and drizzled with oil and herbs and cooked straight on the grill.

avocadosrus Fri 24-May-19 15:40:31

The shroomdogs don't taste remotely mushroomey and they do a chorizo version!

Teddybear45 Fri 24-May-19 15:41:17

Iceland do some good ones that taste like proper sausages. I think they are part of the No Bull range

SMaCM Sat 01-Jun-19 09:58:16

I like the Linda McCartney ones and have popped them on the bbq frozen with no problems.

JollyAndBright Sat 01-Jun-19 10:01:42

We defrost the LM sausages and then generously brush with oil before putting them on the barbecue, they only take a few minutes and you’re not cooking them, just heating them through and charing the outside.

Petitprince Sat 01-Jun-19 10:04:06

Linda McCartney red onion ones are good too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »