Talk

Advanced search

Nut free vegan pudding suggestions please

(19 Posts)
Chewbecca Tue 14-May-19 15:05:03

Preferably one that can be made the day before.

It’s to go after Middle Eastern style food but not essential to follow the theme.

I’ve poached pears for these guests in the past so that is out.

TIA

ArtichokeAardvark Tue 14-May-19 15:08:02

Baked peaches? Drizzle with maple syrup and then roast in the oven. I usually serve with marscapone and flaked almonds but obviously that's out for you and it's just as nice on its own!

Faster Tue 14-May-19 15:10:43

Lemon sorbet with raspberry coulis?

HardAsSnails Tue 14-May-19 15:11:58

Rice pudding made with coconut cream instead of milk is lovely hot or cold, and good with some fresh fruit or compote.

Treacle pudding can be easily made vegan (or fruit pies/crumble) and serve with vanilla Swedish Glacé or vegan custard.

Northernsights Tue 14-May-19 15:15:01

Another vote for coconut rice pudding.

This is a good easy recipe too

www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/vegan_chocolate_pudding/

QOFE Tue 14-May-19 15:15:35

There was a recipe in last weekend Saturday Guardian for a vegan chocolate, olive oil, and passion fruit cake which might fit the bill? I don't remember it containing nuts.

Or a "cheesecake" with ginger biscuit base and topping made with silken tofu and melted dark chocolate blended together?

Chewbecca Tue 14-May-19 15:27:13

Wow, what a speedy response - thanks!

Baked peaches are definitely on the maybe list.

Coconut is out unfortunately, I am pretty sure the nut allergy sufferer doesn't eat it but I will remember that another time when I am only catering vegan!

I've made treacle tart for these friends before actually! Agree, it is a good one that is easily forgotten.

Found the cake, does look good. Contains almond milk, can oat or soya be subbed would you think? Link for anyone looking!
www.theguardian.com/food/2019/may/11/meera-sodhas-recipe-for-vegan-chocolate-passion-fruit-and-olive-oil-cake

Chewbecca Tue 14-May-19 15:30:14

Aha, someone has asked the very same question re: almond milk in the comments and it has been answered by someone has already tried it. We may have a winner.
Thanks again.

rainbowlovesfroot Tue 14-May-19 15:31:16

Ooh no ideas but would love some recommendations toosmile

ArtichokeAardvark Tue 14-May-19 15:31:53

Ooh, another idea and super easy. Pineapple carpaccio with mint sugar. Slice pineapple as thinly as you can, and arrange on a plate. Just before serving, crush fresh mint leaves together with granulated sugar and scatter over the top. Really lovely in hot weather!

Chewbecca Tue 14-May-19 15:32:59

Oh yes, pineapple is a good call too. I like the chunks baked with sugar too, and would work with the Swedish glace. I now have choices, whoop whoop!

Ringsender2 Tue 14-May-19 15:34:45

Vegan cheesecake. Lovely made with lemon zest.

Anything suggested above plus vegan icecream. Swedish glace is good.

Fyi coconuts are not nuts; they are fruits.

CrumbsCrumbsEverywhere Tue 14-May-19 15:39:15

Find any cake /sponge recipe and replace eggs with applesauce and Marg with vegan marg

SDTGisAnEvilWolefGenius Tue 14-May-19 15:40:16

You can use the liquid from canned chick peas to make meringue, I believe - how about a pavlova? Flavoured with coffee, and topped with vegan cream and cocoa powder. Or plain, topped with fruit.

Catslovepies Tue 14-May-19 15:42:33

Rhubarb crumble with alpro soya custard. My DH and I are vegans and he has a nut allergy - we made this at the weekend with rhubarb from the garden so it's seasonal. It would go with Swedish glace instead of custard. We also love sticky toffee pudding but this is probably more suitable to cold weather: demuths.co.uk/rachels-blog/article/sticky_toffee_pudding

UnaOfStormhold Tue 14-May-19 15:56:14

This sticky orange cake is delicious - perhaps serve with a few pistachios scattered on top.

I was going to suggest making vegan baklava (maple syrup and olive oil instead of honey and butter) but realised that you have a nut allergy to cater for.

sanmiguel Tue 14-May-19 21:10:07

Some great ideas. What's the rest of the menu OP?

Chewbecca Tue 14-May-19 22:09:39

Ottolenghi's kosheri and tomato sauce, falafel (not selected recipe yet), meatballs baked in tahini for the non vegans, broccoli and cauliflower roasted with herb/spices. That's as far as I have got so far!

Chewbecca Sun 19-May-19 09:51:08

Update: made Meera Sodha's olive oil, chocolate tart from the New Vegan guardian column. Subbed the almond milk for oat and couldn't find any passion fruit so used a mashed up mango instead. It was really good, very moist and super easy - recommended!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »