Talk

Advanced search

Gluten free vegan?

(16 Posts)
CupOhTea Sun 14-Apr-19 13:45:58

Hello!

I have a lovely friend coming to stay soon, who is gluten free and vegan. She’s very easy going and would happily buy / cook her own food while she’s here, but I’d really like to have some nice meals and snacks planned for her.

Does anyone have any nice, not too complicated, recipes, or know of a good website where I could find some nice ones?

BernardsarenotalwaysSaints Sun 14-Apr-19 13:52:04

Stuffed peppers. For a basic version I just fry off onion, garlic, grated carrot & small diced courgette, then put in some chilli paste, add the rice then some passata. Take the tops off the peppers & remove the seeds then microwave for 5 minute until they’re soft. Add the filling & bake in the oven for 20 minutes gas mark 6. I’m not vegan or Coeliac but they are lovely, I usually do sweet potato fries as a side.

CupOhTea Sun 14-Apr-19 14:14:53

Ooooh that sound perfect! And all normal ingredients I’d have anyway. Thanks flowers.

weasle Sun 14-Apr-19 14:41:26

GF pasta mostly good. Could make a roast veg and lentil bologmaise type sauce.

GF bread not great. Schar rolls ok if toasted or in oven. If coeliac will need toaster bags though. Vegan spread and jam for breakfast?

There are nice GF snack bars but remember vegans don't eat honey. Nakd and Kind do nice ones. Nuts good for protein snack. Hummus and GF breadsticks or carrot sticks.

CupOhTea Sun 14-Apr-19 14:56:37

Fab thanks!

I think some oatcakes are GF. Could do those with crudités & hummus for a snack. Or add potato wedges and call it lunch / supper!

Mustbetimeforachange Sun 14-Apr-19 14:57:47

Ratatouille type sauce on pasta. Curry/Thai curry made with just veg & served with rice. Lentil soup. Chick pea curry, dhal etc.

TapasForTwo Sun 14-Apr-19 15:00:12

If you have Facebook Bosh have some brilliant recipes. Not all are gluten free, but quite a few are, and the food is so imaginative and tasty.

CupOhTea Sun 14-Apr-19 15:04:25

I’m not on FB sadly.

I could do Thai curry with tofu, couldn’t I? I think tofu is GF.

stucknoue Sun 14-Apr-19 15:14:06

Rice is gf, so do a curry or chilli. For sweet stuff the free from section has plenty these days or buy gf flour. For breakfast friend potatoes, peppers, onions and a bit a Cajun seasoning is tasty, then serve with beans

TapasForTwo Sun 14-Apr-19 15:58:22

Just be aware that some Thai curry pastes contain fish sauce.

CupOhTea Sun 14-Apr-19 16:42:44

Thanks @tapas. Will do.

mrsjackrussell Mon 15-Apr-19 12:42:05

This website is fab and most recipes are gluten free. Some good ideas for desserts snacks etc https://hedihearts.com/

coral13 Mon 15-Apr-19 12:44:14

www.veganricha.com is fab. Her food is simple but amazing and if it's not GF, she puts notes at bottom how to make it GF

coral13 Mon 15-Apr-19 12:45:26

Should add that in general curries are great for vegans and most are normally GF as standard.

CupOhTea Mon 15-Apr-19 13:02:14

Thanks coral and jack! I’ll take a look now smile.

Theclearing Sat 18-May-19 09:46:36

Just coming in to say thanks for this thread, am coeliac and really trying to eat largely plant based, so this is so helpful.

Encouraging any other coeliac vegans to post!

Stuffed Peppers sound great.

Oh she glows has a fab lentil mushroom bolognese.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »