Talk

Advanced search

New to veganism

(19 Posts)
Bomato Sat 16-Mar-19 20:16:55

Has anyone found a vegan cheese that melts well?
Favourite vegan meals?
Best milk to use in tea and coffee?
Best sweet treats and snack foods?
Thanks!

Nemesia Sat 16-Mar-19 20:20:07

Asda vegan mozzerella ready grated melts really well. Violife does too. I like alpro soya in tea and coffee.

crosser62 Sat 16-Mar-19 20:24:06

Don’t use vegan cheese as it’s all shite.
I’ve never found a decent milk that doesn’t split in tea/coffee so just got used to black.
Best meals are home made, slow cooker type curries, stews, soups.

Sweet treats... fry’s mint creams, parties, dark chocolate, naked bars.
Walkers crisps are fab.
Have a look at “accidentally vegan” website, loads of stuff on there that you will be surprised is vegan good luck it gets very easy!

Bomato Sat 16-Mar-19 20:25:55

Thanks both!

GoodJobShesCute Sat 16-Mar-19 20:48:56

Oatly Barista is delicious in coffee. I have it by choice and I'm not vegan!
The Oatly chocolate milk is sooo delicious too on cereal. Even though it may be a bit naughty.
Never found a decent cheese other than the violife cheese spread.
Jus Roll puff pastry is vegan I think! Or at least dairy free (which admittedly isn't helpful).

GoodJobShesCute Sat 16-Mar-19 20:51:06

Also - I trialled all the dairy free chocolate and green and blacks do some amazing dairy free chocs. Montezuma chocolate buttons were also a big fave. The coconut collaborative choc pots (in the free from chiller) are just divine but expensive.

Bomato Sun 17-Mar-19 06:48:27

Thank you!

TapasForTwo Sun 17-Mar-19 07:02:44

I follow Bosh on Facebook. They have some brilliant recipe ideas.

tendril Sun 17-Mar-19 07:55:40

Yes, buy the Bosh! Cookbook - everything in it is amazing !

I have yet to find a decent vegan cheese but it does exist as the vegan pizza at Ask is incredible.

Tesco dark choc digestives are vegan as are the original Oreos.

tendril Sun 17-Mar-19 07:57:32

I always have alpro soya in coffee - but the fresh one, the long life one tends to curdle.
Tea I just gave black now took a day or so to get used now never going back :-)

kikisparks Sun 17-Mar-19 08:02:54

Well done smile

I’d say daiya from sainsburys is the best supermarket vegan cheese and oatly barista is the best milk.

Sweet treats:

Jus rol croissants and pain au chocolats
Starburst, skittles
Rhythm 108 bars from sainsburys
Tesco’s free from tiffin
Mr Kiplings treacle tart
Asda dark chocolate torte (frozen section)
Party rings
Oreos
Duncan’s shortbread
Vego bars (Holland and Barrett)

Loads more, you could join vegan supermarket finds on Facebook if you have it.

NameChanger22 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:15:44

I haven't found a good vegan cheese yet. Violife is my favourite but still not that good. I only buy it occasionally when I want a cheese and pickle sandwich. It doesn't melt very well.

My favourite meals include - chilli tofu and rice, vegan lasagne (I make the cheese sauce by making a white sauce and adding nutritional yeast and bouillon), dahl and rice, mushroom stir fry noodles, fried potatoes and onions with pea puree, vegan sausage and mash, sweet potato and coconut curry, vegan quiche and salad (I use easy egg or tofu). I love the M&S vegan meals as a treat.

I like oat milk the most, but Aldi soya milk is also good in tea and coffee. I like coconut milk for making things like custard.

Most puddings I make myself - raspberry and coconut crumble, vegan pancakes, apple pie. I also like the raspberry and coconut Ruffles (Poundland). Our city has a vegan donut shop which is really good and a vegan health shop which sells amazing cakes. Oreos, skittles, party rings, lotus biscuits, most bourbon creams are all vegan, but I don't like many of those.

anniehm Sun 17-Mar-19 08:21:21

Asda have a range of chocolate called moo free, I saw them in the Easter egg aisle but they have non Easter treats in the free from aisle. Aldi also have milk free chocolate. Hazelnut "milk" works well in coffee but in tea not sure, I drink mine black and I'm not vegan my brother is but I'm intolerant to dairy (little bits are ok and cheese is ok just not liquid milk go figure).

Aldi have bars that are nuts, dates and cacao that are tasty.

Ditto66 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:38:17

Oat milk is the least likely to curdle. But if you drink coffee in coffee shops you will now face random curdles... I found it easier to just drink black coffee - you acclimatise to the taste surprisingly quickly. Similarly vegan cheese - just disappointing and greasy, I hate it. Easier again to focus on vegan natural positives. Explore new ways of putting food and flavours together. Deliciously Ella is great for that.

Spiderbanana Sun 17-Mar-19 09:42:28

I was having almond milk in tea but I find it too thin so drinking it black now.

We live abroad and I am mega jealous of you guys as the range here is pretty limited!

mintyneb Sun 17-Mar-19 09:46:22

Tesco grated mozzarella is ok melted on pizza, you just have to get used to a different taste!

cushioncovers Sat 23-Mar-19 14:37:03

Oatly (not organic) or alpro oat milk is fab in everything that milk is used in imo. My kids even prefer it so I don't buy cows milk at all now.

For cheese I used the violife range. But I have got used to not expecting the cheesy taste on a lot of dishes that I would of once used it on. Nooch is also good sprinkled on pasta dishes. Cheese has been the most difficult thing to give up tbh.

katherinejones Tue 14-May-19 17:39:41

Good luck! My favourite milk for tea is almond, and coffee oat. I think they fit each other this way. My favourite life saving vegan snacks are chocolate coated jujubes and seaweeds. I never feel hungry between main meals.

klendraa Sat 18-May-19 12:20:26

Violife is really good. Original flavour and tastes just like cheese pretty much

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »