Talk

Advanced search

Anyone a vegan and on a diet ?

(41 Posts)
IveGotAlpen Wed 06-Mar-19 18:13:41

I need to loose another two stone. I've already lost one stone over a few months but have hit a weight and it's deadlined. I'm not sure what else I can do ? Any advice and recommendations?

I can't really exercise due to having M.E. I have been vegan a long time but after a few mental issues and birth of baby I put on a lot of weight.

Thanks everyone

CrispbuttyNo1 Wed 06-Mar-19 18:17:28

What do you eat at the moment? A vegan diet is generally very healthy already.

PurpleDaisies Wed 06-Mar-19 18:21:17

A vegan diet is generally very healthy already.

It really isn’t. I eat just as much junk as before, it’s just different junk.

I have to make a conscious effort not to rely too much on carbs. It’s hard though. Focus on veg.

IveGotAlpen Wed 06-Mar-19 18:25:12

I mainly eat lentils , veg, baked potatoes etc !

Occasionally meat and cheese substitutes as a treat.

IveGotAlpen Wed 06-Mar-19 18:27:05

I'm just concerned if I cut out certain food groups I'm going to miss vital minerals and vitamins I need. I've already cut down on how much chickpea based stuff I eat haha !

CrispbuttyNo1 Wed 06-Mar-19 19:09:04

What about sugar?

IveGotAlpen Wed 06-Mar-19 19:10:31

@CrispbuttyNo1 I have one sugar in my coffee in the morning and then I have a few bits of fruit do you recommend cutting down ? I don't really eat biscuits or things like that , though I know a lot of stuff can have hidden sugars.

thedevilinablackdress Sun 10-Mar-19 18:36:11

Cut out or drastically reduce any cakes, biscuits, crisps etc . Cut down portion sizes on the rest.

MyGastIsFlabbered Sun 10-Mar-19 20:36:26

I've just ordered this book.

TheFaerieQueene Sun 10-Mar-19 20:39:31

It will be portion size and/or snacks.

ContessaIsOnADietDammit Sun 10-Mar-19 20:41:44

I'm vegan and on a diet! I eat 1300 calories per day (max). That's pretty much it grin

mrbob Sun 10-Mar-19 20:43:57

Me! Am attempting keto and it is working but not going to lie it is pretty restrictive!
Otherwise you could try going plant based which allows much more freedom but apparently has the side effect of weight loss for most (not me!)

IveGotAlpen Mon 11-Mar-19 16:11:37

@MyGastIsFlabbered that book looks helpful I will have a look at that.

What I eat is pretty good I think so I am going to cut down on portions and snacks and see where that takes me !

kikisparks Sun 17-Mar-19 08:46:19

It’s all about calories. My husband and I have both successfully lost weight as vegans using MyFitnessPal.

kikisparks Sun 17-Mar-19 08:46:28

Ps good luck!

Fiontar649 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:53:06

I eat a plant based diet and really put an effort in since January following theStarch Solution / John Mc Dougall method. There are several Facebook groups and a lot of info online. I have lost almost 2 stone since January (including a couple of weeks were I was totally off plan and lived on vegan junk)

Fiontar649 Sun 17-Mar-19 08:58:46

Meant to say, I have a few of the books. The Starch Solution is the main one, but the Maximum Weight Loss book is a more restricted plan for losing weight faster.
Either book (or just the stuff online) would do the job but I bought both in a flurry of enthusiasm confused

slipperywhensparticus Sun 17-Mar-19 09:00:33

It's probably that you cant exercise is there any gentle exercise you can do?

slipperywhensparticus Sun 17-Mar-19 09:01:15

If your cutting out more calories take a vegan multivitamin

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-19 09:03:17

Sorry, but 'gentle exercise' will make no difference whatsoever. You have to do a lot of exercise regularly to burn enough calories to make an impact on your weight.

@IveGotAlpen it's very easy if you're vegan to consume a lot of carbohydrate, which won't be helping you.

Fiontar649 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:10:07

Carbohydrates combined with low-fat/no oil food work fine for me - I eat quite a lot of potato and rice and lose weight this way.

Carbs with high fat vegan food, or a lot of oil chips are a disaster for me though...

Fiontar649 Sun 17-Mar-19 09:12:59

And I agree that gentle or infrequent exercise won't make a huge difference - if anything I end up "rewarding" myself. I look after my eating only, and regard any (measly and sporadic) exercise as a bonus.

BIWI Sun 17-Mar-19 11:17:59

That's not to say that exercise isn't a good thing and generally good for you, by the way!

And I agree @Fiontar649 - high carb + high fat is a recipe (pun intended!) for disaster.

Spiderbanana Mon 18-Mar-19 08:48:57

I am relatively new to veganism and doing the 5:2. I have lost 9kg in 2 months.

I find it much easier than calorie counting as I am already eating a very different diet to before and don't want to be put off by being too restrictive range-wise.

IveGotAlpen Mon 18-Mar-19 09:38:34

@BIWI I can't do hard excercise because I have M.E so even gentle exercise is good for me , however, I do know this won't help with weight loss but it does get me moving. It's really difficult because I don't want to be hungry all the time haha ! This is the predicament I'm in sad

I probably do eat way too many carbs , I hardly eat bread but do eat a fair bit or rice , pasta and potatoes, but everything else is very good . Lots of green veg and leaves / beans and pulses.

I like the idea of my fitness pal, then I can track what I'm eating with the calories. I reckon I just need to cut those down to be honest as I'm probably putting in more than I'm burning off.

What are your favourite low calorie vegan meals ?

I pretty much live off bean chilli and rice and dishes like that 😂😂

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »