Talk

Advanced search

Sprouting seeds

(7 Posts)
2weeksholiday Tue 15-Jan-19 19:33:47

Hi, I was thinking of trying to sprout my own seeds. Has anyone tried this or do you have any recommendations, such as where is the best place to buy seeds?
Thank you

RLABC Tue 15-Jan-19 19:36:08

Do you mean seeds for planting or eating?

Daisydoesnt Tue 15-Jan-19 19:45:08

OP you actually have to be quite careful with this and use a proper germinator (I think that's what its called) as it's possible to get E.coli, salmonella or listeria from sprouted seeds (I know, how lovely!) If you grow them yourself I would only ever use them in cooked dishes, which to me slightly misses the point (I like them raw on salads, in wraps etc).

Professional growers will grow them in sterile conditions so they are safe to eat raw. If you think about it, the moist warm conditions of a windowsill where you'd probably grow them are just ripe for growing bacteria shock

2weeksholiday Tue 15-Jan-19 19:50:01

Sorry, I meant sprouting seeds to eat raw.

Oh no, that sounds worrying! I thought they would be a lovely, easy thing to 'grow'.

Thanks for the advice

ginghamstarfish Tue 15-Jan-19 19:52:11

I've done this for years and never heard of these problems except in commercial growing ... I use filtered water to rinse, keep in a cool place and have been eating them for years.

2weeksholiday Wed 16-Jan-19 12:24:32

That's reassuring. Perhaps I will give it a go. Any recommendations on which seeds to start with?

greenelephantscarf Wed 16-Jan-19 12:28:10

peas are nice.
cress
chives
beetroot
mustard

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: