Talk

Advanced search

Vegan bread

(17 Posts)
TippetyTapWriter Mon 07-Jan-19 10:15:55

Hiya, does anyone know which brands of bread are vegan? I'm on a budget and normally buy Morrisons own brand. The packet says it's vegetarian but I'm not sure if it's vegan. Are there any readily available brands that definitely are? Many thanks.

sleepismysuperpower1 Mon 07-Jan-19 12:37:51

it depends on how strict a vegan you are, but this morrisons own brand bread link is vegan, although it may contain milk. my vegan friend eats it x

TheLovleyChebbyMcGee Mon 07-Jan-19 12:41:44

I thought most regular bread was vegan tbh, only brioch or other fancy breads have dairy or eggs agreed.

All my vegan pals eat regular bread, but I know it's difficult to interpret the 'may contain' phrase.

dementedpixie Mon 07-Jan-19 12:45:07

It's more a cross contamination risk. My Warburton bread says suitable for vegetarians but that it is produced in a bakery that uses milk ingredients. It has no milk products in the ingredients list. Depends how strict you are being I suppose

TippetyTapWriter Mon 07-Jan-19 14:10:18

Oh great thanks. I'd read online that most contained emulsifiers from eggs but happy to hear otherwise.

LadyWithLapdog Tue 08-Jan-19 20:25:04

I bought a vegan bread but I can’t remember where from. I’ll check when I get home if I still have the bag it came in (I keep them to reuse for other stuff). I know it said gluten free as well and DH said it’s nicer than then usual gluten free bread.

Teddyreddy Tue 08-Jan-19 20:45:49

DD is allergic to milk and was allergic to eggs - they do have to say on the ingredients list if they are there. According to veganwomble supermarkets only label products as vegan if there is no cross contamination risk which is why most bread only says it's vegetarian - in a normal bakery everything will have a risk of contamination!

Gluten free bread normally has eggs in, as does enriched bread like brioche - but plain bread is usually fine. For sweeter stuff like hot cross buns and toasted tea cakes, the expensive ones have butter in but the cheaper ones are usually OK.

sackrifice Tue 08-Jan-19 20:47:58

If you are on a budget, buy a 1.5kg bag of flour and a jar of easy yeast, and make 3 loaves yourself for less than £3.

LadyWithLapdog Tue 08-Jan-19 21:41:33

This is the one I bought. Probably from Sainsbury’s.

kikisparks Wed 09-Jan-19 07:08:59

Most kingsmill and hovis is marked vegan.

loadofcrap10 Thu 17-Jan-19 17:33:02

Kingsmill 50/50 is vegan as is Burgen soya and linseed

PatrickMerricksGoshawk Thu 17-Jan-19 17:37:27

Recommend making your own. I got a virtually unused bread maker for £20 on eBay last year and I just chuck everything in, couldn’t be easier. I haven’t actually totted up what I spend on ingredients, but it’s almost certainly cheaper as well.

RagingWhoreBag Thu 17-Jan-19 17:37:27

buy a 1.5kg bag of flour and a jar of easy yeast is yeast vegan!? Surely as its a living organism vegans can't eat it?

You can make chapattis really easily, just wholemeal flour, water and salt, knead it for a bit then flatten really thin and cook in a hot dry pan until they puff up. My kids love them.

PatrickMerricksGoshawk Thu 17-Jan-19 17:38:23

Oh, and the bread maker recipe calls for milk powder - I’ve always left it out and not had any issues.

RagingWhoreBag Thu 17-Jan-19 17:38:26

If you're happy to eat yeast then maybe get a sourdough started?

Eminybob Thu 17-Jan-19 20:10:40

Tesco wholemeal is marked as vegan

KingIrving Fri 18-Jan-19 09:04:47

Yeast is a fungus. It didn't have a dad or a mum, doesn't have a nervous system, doesn't see or feel.
{{The vegan renounces it as superstitious that human life depends upon the exploitation of these creatures whose feelings are much the same as our own}}. Yeast has no feeling, you can eat it.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »