Talk

Advanced search

Vegan shoes M&S

(13 Posts)
HandsOffMyRights Mon 31-Dec-18 09:26:34

I'm aiming to go vegan this New Year. I went into M&S to return some Christmas boots (that were bought in November) because I couldn't face wearing leather, only to find they are vegan after all (the new batch in store all had vegan labels and we triple checked the same code).

Does anyone know if this is usual for Marks to stock vegan footwear? Only I've been looking at vegan boots online and they are twice the price.

PurpleDaisies Mon 31-Dec-18 09:28:10

I suspect they’ve been clever and relabelled their non-leather shoes as “vegan” do they can cash in on the January vegans...

CarolineForbes Mon 31-Dec-18 09:31:47

I’ve seen on Facebook on vegan UK that M&S have started labelling the shoes. They (and a lot of other places like Sainsbury’s) are also about to launch loads more vegan food products in time for Veganuary starting. For cheaper boots, new look have confirmed their non leather boots are vegan friendly as they don’t use animal derived glues. Non leather Blowfish boots are fine too and potentially Primark but would need to double check that one.

thedevilinablackdress Mon 31-Dec-18 09:38:05

Lots of high street shops have sold non-leather footwear for a long time (as the material is generally cheaper than leather). It just hasn't been labelled/advertised as vegan - m&s, primark, new look, h&m to name a few.

HandsOffMyRights Mon 31-Dec-18 18:06:56

Thanks - this will make it so much easier. Years ago when I contemplated going vegan it was so much harder, but pleasing to see the high street is waking up.

PurpleDaisies Mon 31-Dec-18 18:24:02

I love my vegan DMs. They’re in the sale at the moment if you’re tempted!

HandsOffMyRights Tue 01-Jan-19 09:46:57

Ooh might be. Where did you get them from?

PurpleDaisies Tue 01-Jan-19 09:55:21

Direct from the website. When I say cheap, I mean cheap for DMs. £65 for the cherry red ones.

HandsOffMyRights Tue 01-Jan-19 10:46:15

Thanks - will check them out.

cushioncovers Fri 18-Jan-19 14:48:17

Went to M&S today and was disappointed. They have stuck their few vegan shoes in amongst the regular range in sporadic places and you have to look at the bottom of each shoe to see if it's one of their vegan range or check online first then go and find that particular shoe in store. Very time consuming. I came away with nothing as I just couldn't find them.

I spoke with the manager and explained my problem and she said she would feed it back to higher management 🤷🏻‍♀️. Seems they've set it up to fail at the moment.

PestymcPestFace Fri 18-Jan-19 14:53:33

Vegan - imitation leather - plastic - non-biodegradable

To find a pair of eco friendly shoes is very difficult.

thedevilinablackdress Fri 18-Jan-19 15:04:26

cushioncovers that's because they haven't gone out and created a range of vegan shoes, they've just labelled the plastic shoes they already have for a bit of bandwagon-jumping. As PP says, not likely to be very eco/sustainable.

cushioncovers Fri 18-Jan-19 16:06:46

Ah I see. That's pretty poor 😡.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: