Talk

Advanced search

Will it be easy to lose weight if I do Vegjanuary?

(16 Posts)
onlyconnect Fri 28-Dec-18 12:33:03

I like cooking and don't eat much processed food anyway. I'm imagining if I go vegan, I will naturally lose weight. Obviously I know I can count calories to be sure but I just wondered if anyone just found themselves losing weight when they went vegan.

cushioncovers Fri 28-Dec-18 12:44:08

Yes you can as long as you eat plenty of veg pulses beans etc and don't just live on potatoes pasta and rice. grin

cushioncovers Sat 29-Dec-18 11:45:40

Bump for you

Screamqueenz Sat 29-Dec-18 12:05:16

Losing weight is about calories in vs calories used.

If you spend a month eating starchy carbs you'll struggle, but a wide range of vegetables and pulses then I imagine it'd fall off quite quickly.

Are you cutting out alcohol as well? That tends to work for me in addition to cutting out cheese and diary.

onlyconnect Sat 29-Dec-18 13:11:11

I certainly plan to cut down on alcohol but may not cut it completely

thedevilinablackdress Sat 29-Dec-18 14:19:15

Depends entirely on what you eat and how much! If you eat cake all month, then no.
What sort of breakfasts / lunches/ dinners/ snacks do you plan on having?

PurpleDaisies Sat 29-Dec-18 14:20:57

I’ve put weight on when I’ve eaten vegan before. You need to be careful not to fill up on carbs. You won’t just lose Wright because of a new vegan diet.

onlyconnect Sat 29-Dec-18 15:00:01

I'm thinking maybe toast with tahini on it or a banana for breakfast.
Couscous with veg or avacqdo salad for lunch, maybe with some nuts. Also I'm going to make some humus so will have that with salad sometimes.
Dinner likely to be curry- made probably with coconut milk; pulses cooked with tomatoes, garlic etc. Maybe a tomato sauce with pasta.

Screamqueenz Sat 29-Dec-18 15:30:24

Tahini, avocado, cous cous and pasta will all be relatively high calories for their mass.
Healthy diet, but not low cal.

Screamqueenz Sat 29-Dec-18 15:31:06

Nor is coconut milk.

onlyconnect Sat 29-Dec-18 17:07:45

Yes i can see that. I'll have to be careful and count calories too.

NotANotMan Sat 29-Dec-18 22:44:37

Nope not necessarily at all

Pickledturnip Sun 30-Dec-18 19:01:35

If you stick to plant based eating (whole foods, veggies, fruit, beans, pulses etc) hell yes. Its easier to lose weight as a vegan than a meat eater or veggie for sure but there are more and more processed vegan foods every day so it's getting easier to be a "junk food vegan" too.

I've lost quite a bit since going vegan. Over a stone and half in a year by combining wholefoods with crisps, bread, vegan substitutes etc. I could definitely do a lot better but cutting out dairy has really helped. Plus, the fact that a lot of food options aren't open to vegans help!

Pickledturnip Sun 30-Dec-18 19:03:45

Have you watched 'Forks over knives'? It talks about a plant based, low fat diet being imperative to human health. I found it really insightful ☺

Member341379 Sun 30-Dec-18 19:06:15

Lots of vegan junk food out there. Whole food plant based (WFPB) and it will help.

ifeelgreat Fri 09-Aug-19 21:33:44

I've been vegan now for 4 weeks, I wasn't fat to start with 9.4stone. Generally on keto. Read China study, how not to die and watched fork over knives... I'm now 8.11 after 4 weeks of having pasta, potatoes, big chilli and veg, risotto, can't believe the amount I'm eating and the fact I've lost half a stone which all the carbs

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »