Talk

Advanced search

Where can I buy cruelty free eggs in London?

(17 Posts)
samosamo Sat 22-Dec-18 13:03:13

As in not killing male chicks at birth etc?

Also, tips on where to buy humane meat?

Please help me

Cherries101 Sat 22-Dec-18 13:06:30

Hen Heaven is the only company. Otherwise you need to find someone who rears their own because killing male chicks is standard farming practice.

thedevilinablackdress Sat 22-Dec-18 13:13:13

Not entirely helpful but in the Guardian today...
World's first no-kill eggs go on sale in Berlin

www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/dec/22/worlds-first-no-kill-eggs-go-on-sale-in-berli

LaurieFairyCake Sat 22-Dec-18 13:20:21

So pleased to read that German story - says they're going to have them available all over Germany

Can't wait til it comes here.

kikisparks Sun 23-Dec-18 19:11:14

Of course with all of these eggs the hen still suffers and will still be killed when her production drops. Certainly not cruelty free sad

kikisparks Sun 23-Dec-18 19:13:41

Hen heaven doesn’t seem to but they should be feeding the eggs back to the chickens not using them to make a buck, sadly these animals have been bred to effectively give birth every day, 30x more frequently than they would in the wild.

We can just not eat eggs.

KittenEsque Mon 24-Dec-18 08:44:04

I thought the brand of sanctimonious holier than thou veganism, which is all about one up man ship and putting other people down, and nothing about actually improving the lives of animals and how they live, or supporting and encouraging others to live more conscious and considered lives had fallen away out of genuine concern for animals and desire to see real, widespread, mainstream progress @kikisparks.

Sadly not.

kikisparks Mon 24-Dec-18 09:36:00

Haha @KittenEsque are you following me around now? I know you’re desperate to get a rise but please do try to move on. It’s christmas Eve, try to relax and enjoy the day.

mortifiedmama Wed 26-Dec-18 18:41:59

I'd try and find someone local to you who has their own genuinely free-range hens- no chance of fertilisation, no male chicks, natural life span.

Try your local Facebook page.

MsJaneAusten Wed 26-Dec-18 18:51:19

Why is this posted in ‘vegan’?

Tika77 Wed 26-Dec-18 19:01:13

Try to find a smallholding or a person with a smaller flock. Eggs will taste better and they usually let their flock free range all the time. Any farm shops nearby?

JoroL Thu 27-Dec-18 15:32:57

No such thing

kennelmaid Thu 27-Dec-18 15:44:24

@KittenEsque

I've followed @kikisparks many excellent and informative posts on vegan issues and, as a fellow vegan, I say kikisparks is a good egg (pun intended).

kikisparks Thu 27-Dec-18 17:32:49

@kennelmaid oh thank you blush when I saw there had been a post in here I was wondering if it had been more insults from someone but your lovely post has cheered me right up!

Hope you’ve been enjoying a wonderful vegan festive period smile

kennelmaid Thu 27-Dec-18 18:49:00

fsmile you too [kiki]

ksa103 Fri 28-Dec-18 10:59:46

Cruelty-free eggs?
Humane meat?
Is this wind up? Surely it has to be, as it's posted on the vegan section.

mortifiedmama Fri 28-Dec-18 11:06:25

Any farm shops nearby? Be very wary of farm shops. Our local one is a battery egg farm.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: