Talk

Advanced search

Veggies/Vegans with pets i have a question

(33 Posts)
pollywolfff Sat 03-Nov-18 18:01:17

Depending on the type of pet you have the answer will vary but say you have a dog who is naturally carnivorous... what do you feed it? do you feed it meat? im a veggie getting a dog next week and all i want is the best health for my dog you see my dilemma?

Saisong Sat 03-Nov-18 18:04:56

I think dogs are omnivorous and there are veggie diets you can feed them. I think its a bit unfair myself.

Cats are carnivorous though

VictoriaBun Sat 03-Nov-18 18:07:21

You cannot feed a cat with a vegetarian diet.

PartridgeJoan Sat 03-Nov-18 18:33:21

I feed my dog meat based food. But to be honest I don't think there's loads of meat in it, he mostly has dry biscuits (special vet recommended diet). I believe you can raise a dog with a vegan/vegetarian diet, but you need to be very very careful with it and make sure they're getting everything they need. If you don't have the time or funds to go to that level with it then I'd suggest a diet that includes meat

MakeLemonade Sat 03-Nov-18 18:36:37

I feed my cat meat and fish as I don’t want her to die! I’d do the same with a dog. Just buy the best you can afford to try and ensure highest welfare standards.

YeOldeTrout Sat 03-Nov-18 19:30:23

Cats are obligate carnivores; it's cruel to not feed a cat meat.
If you are into animal rights then you would be cruel to not feed the cat what it needs. Seems like easy answer to me.

It's very hard to feed a dog a balanced vegetarian diet & it's unnatural thing for the dog to be vegetarian, either. So also could be argued as completely unfair to the dog to not give them meat which is what they are designed to have in their diet.

Greensleeves Sat 03-Nov-18 19:32:17

There ARE vegans who insist that their cats and dogs are happy and healthy on vegan diets.

But they're bonkers.

legalseagull Sat 03-Nov-18 19:33:40

You can buy high welfare pet food. I think that's the best you'll get if your buying a pet that eats meat!

Nitrostormi Sat 03-Nov-18 20:11:22

I have a cat and a dog. I feed them both meat. I buy the best quality food I can afford. All the people in my home are vegetarian. I don't mind giving my pets meat. It has never occurred to me to feed them a vegetarian diet.

Tubbyinthehottub Sat 03-Nov-18 20:17:24

I feed my cat meat as that's what he needs. I've heard that dogs can be fed a vegetarian diet and be ok with that but I'm not sure how true that is.

Applepudding2018 Sun 04-Nov-18 23:15:39

I buy my dog Lilly's kitchen, Canogan or Edgar & Cooper as they do free range chicken and organic veg in their foods. Also you can recycle the cans.

Kennycalmit Sat 17-Nov-18 19:35:39

I’m a vegetarian. I feed and handle raw meat every day for my dog.

Dottierichardson Sat 17-Nov-18 19:51:20

I'm a veggie (mostly vegan these days) have had dogs for years. I feed them a meat based diet, kibble, with occasional treats of free-range organic chicken and similar. I would not dream of imposing my value system, which my dogs have no means of consenting to, on my dogs. I feed them what is good for them and what they clearly enjoy!

Isitweekendyet Sun 18-Nov-18 10:14:02

My cat is an carnivore, therefore she eats the most cruelty free, ethical food I can afford.

Usually Yarrah that I buy in bulk online and isn't that much more than say Amy's.

I would never feed an animal on a Vegan diet.

Honeyroar Wed 28-Nov-18 12:27:17

I'd never feed a meat eating animal on a vegetarian diet. I feed all my animals the best food for their needs, as much as possible. I chose to be veggie, my husband and dogs/cats didn't..

BuffaloCauliflower Wed 28-Nov-18 12:29:48

Dogs are omnivores, like humans, and can live healthily on a vegetarian diet, but personally I wouldn’t feed them one.

Cats are obligate carnivores, I feed mine meat and fish and wouldn’t dream of doing otherwise whatever my diet.

RedDogsBeg Wed 28-Nov-18 12:39:57

OP, if all you want is the best health for your dog then feed it a balanced diet which will include meat. To impose your beliefs on an animal that is unable to object or change it's living environment is cruel and in no way in the best interests of the animal.

There is no dilemma if you are truly putting the welfare of the animal first.

LoniceraJaponica Wed 28-Nov-18 12:42:57

"To impose your beliefs on an animal that is unable to object or change it's living environment is cruel and in no way in the best interests of the animal."

This ^^

Although I once read of a very strict vegan family who wouldn't even keep any pets because they thought it was morally/ethically wrong to keep any kind of animal.

BuffaloCauliflower Wed 28-Nov-18 12:46:58

@LoniceraJaponica quite a lot of vegans think that and I’d get behind that stance more than making a cat vegan

LoniceraJaponica Wed 28-Nov-18 12:48:15

The not keeping pets?

EllaDownTheLane Wed 28-Nov-18 12:50:33

Veggie here, seven dogs fed raw....meat, bone, offal. Not eating meat is my choice, it’s not theirs.

mydogisthebest Wed 28-Nov-18 12:51:27

Me and DH are both vegetarian and have been for over 30 years. We have always had dogs and always fed meat although I have read that dogs can be healthy as vegetarians.

For the last 3 years we have been feeding raw. To be honest, it still makes us both feel sick, especially the smell of the tripe, but we love our dogs and want them to be happy and healthy

MirandaGoshawk Wed 28-Nov-18 13:00:05

It's perfectly possible to fee kibble, so it has meat in it but you don't have to deal with it, and it's supposed to be a complete diet, but I'm not sure it's best for the dog. Our dog gets that but with the addition of good quality meat from cans. I hate the smell from.the cans but DH washes them for recycling. You'll make it work, I'm sure.

Whatsallthisaboutthen Wed 28-Nov-18 13:00:18

I’m vegan and have three rescue cats who eat meat, because it would be unutterably cruel to feed them a vegan diet (and I’m sure it would make them ill).

MirandaGoshawk Wed 28-Nov-18 13:00:45

*feed

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: