Talk

Advanced search

Am I the only person who put weight on going vegan?

(19 Posts)
Chugalug Wed 14-Feb-18 16:00:21

When I was vegi I wasn't eating cheese ,then I went vegan and found all Tescos vegan cheeses,I love them all...that and my carb heavy diet,meant I've put weight on...but I was fat as a vegi too..did you gain or loose weight going vegan,and what did you eat before meals wise compared to your now vegan meals...do you think you have reduced your calories as a vegan..or are you eating lots more..

LoniceraJaponica Wed 14-Feb-18 16:01:39

I ate more carbs during veganuary. IMO vegan cheese is vile.

Chugalug Wed 14-Feb-18 16:02:53

Everyone says it's vile....I suppose I'd gone over a year with no chesse ,so anything was going to taste amazing really

Truthstar Wed 14-Feb-18 16:11:16

I put a stone on being vegan 😯. Carbs carbs and more carbs!

Chugalug Wed 14-Feb-18 16:19:15

How did you get it off truth?

dangermouseisace Wed 14-Feb-18 18:07:04

I put on lots of weight after I became vegan 20 plus years ago.

I was too skinny beforehand though.

Chugalug Wed 14-Feb-18 18:32:06

Did you manage to loose it dangermouse...

dangermouseisace Wed 14-Feb-18 20:39:06

Well I got a bit too big (for me) as I was binging on processed foods. When I started to eat 'properly' as in proper meals and normal portion snacks I went down to being a size I was happy with and which was healthy, without even trying. I didn't feel deprived either as nothing was 'off limits'. I think that portion control for processed food, and cooking proper food for meals for the majority of the time is important. You don't have to cook ALL the time...sometimes oven chips/veggie burgers is necessary. Also meal planning- if you know what you're going to have for meals then you're less likely to snack on rubbish. I don't do things that take a long time to cook- stir fry with tofu/veg and noodles, rice and chickpeas in a spicy sauce, pasta with tomato sauce and veg and some tinned beans through it, Dahl and rice. I save the sandwiches/wraps/snacky stuff for lunch or do baked potato/soup. Usually porridge/bircher oats with seeds in winter or smoothie made with unflavoured protein powder, a banana, frozen smoothie mix, spya milk and a tablespoon of ground flaxseed/chia seed in summer. I know you like crisps and I was having crisps at lunchtime with my sandwich (not every day though) when I was losing weight. I tend to have fruit if I'm having a snack...or cake if I've made one and the kids haven't eaten it all. I have soya yoghurt once or twice a day as well. I think just having bread at lunchtime instead of having it throughout the day helps for some weird reason. Oh and quite often I have got chocolate at night as well and have done since forever.

I eat quite a lot when it's all written down. Lots of fresh veg and tinned beans/chickpeas/soya products.

dangermouseisace Wed 14-Feb-18 20:40:19

Sorry porridge/smoothies are usually breakfast I forgot to say.

dangermouseisace Wed 14-Feb-18 20:41:29

Hot chocolate not got chocolate!

kikisparks Sat 17-Feb-18 07:15:44

I’ve been vegan 8 years but put on a few kilos recently- think it’s the lower metabolism since turning 30- so I’ve been using MyFitnessPal to track calories and lost 2 kilos so far since start of January got another 3 to go to goal weight. Also trying to walk a bit more and do more exercise.

ivenoideawhatimdoing Sun 18-Feb-18 21:10:56

Eat Vegan, they said.

It's so healthy, they said.

You'll lose so much weight, they said.

Fuck them and their shitty advice.

UpTownFuck Sun 18-Feb-18 21:13:37

I've put weight on since becoming a vegan over a year ago but that's because I'm a fat greedy shit who wanted to try ALL the vegan foodblush I've started to lose some of it now I've cut down on snacking grin

SimonNeilshair Sun 18-Feb-18 21:19:38

In a way I've found it easier to put weight on since being vegan as before I'd have lunches such as eggs or cheese salad which are reasonably healthy and easy to do. Now I tend to pick more as I sometimes struggle with what to have for meals, especially at lunch time.

I'm trying to eat a more wholefood diet and I've lost 9lbs since new year. I need to lose about a stone to be my ideal weight. I'm also exercising a lot more

cacoa Sun 18-Feb-18 21:20:45

you can be vegan and eat an unhealthy diet still of carbs and fats e.g. chips and cheese's
you can be non-vegan and still eat a diet full of carbs and fats.

easy to blame the lifestyle but highly recommend one does a bit of reading and research. The benefits of giving up dairy and animal products are immense, as dairy is the cause of so many illnesses and health conditions.
I seriously recommend if one goes vegan to check out the Vegan Society and Veganuary web pages. Key is to eat more vegetables, healthier proteins and less processed foods. Eating less processed in ant diet is recommended these days by professionals.

Chugalug Mon 19-Feb-18 16:50:15

Uptown fuck,are you me?

Chugalug Mon 19-Feb-18 16:51:10

I'm trying to count calories,(and I'm taking lots of vitamins,see my other thread)

lljkk Mon 19-Feb-18 19:46:51

My cousin & husband ate like vegans for a year. Didn't lose any weight, may have gained some.

MaryPoppinsPenguins Mon 19-Feb-18 19:49:21

Ive been eating vegan for about two weeks and I’ve lost 7lbs... (no alcohol as well though, it might be that!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now