Talk

Advanced search

Vegan desserts.

(19 Posts)
SimonBridges Sun 11-Feb-18 20:12:47

I have friends coming over for dinner. She is vegan, we are vegetarian. I’m happy and able to cook a vegan main for us all, we eat vegan a couple of days a week anyway.
What I can’t think of is a dessert. Everything seems to have egg or milk in it.

Any ideas? I’m happy to buy something in, they are good friends and this is an informal dinner.

someblondegirl Sun 11-Feb-18 20:15:06

This tastes lovely and is super easy

https://deliciouslyella.com/2016/01/30/book-two-recipe-coconut-and-raspberry-mousse/

PaperdollCartoon Sun 11-Feb-18 20:20:30

There’s a seriously huge range of amazing vegan ice creams out there now. I usually stick a few options on the table for people to help themselves. The Coconut Collective little chocolate pots are actual heaven and just enough for a bit of sweet at the end of a big meal. The Lazy Day slices are also all good and go well with ice cream.

My go to if I’m being fancy and making an effort is a tart with an Oreo cookie base (whole ones bashed up and mixed with vegan butter like a cheesecake base) with dairy free chocolate ganache filling (the one from Jamie Olivers vegan chocolate tart is good) Usually nuts and/or raspberries as well. Macadamia nuts and smoked salt are a great topping.

MsHomeSlice Sun 11-Feb-18 20:21:49

avocado chocolate mousse, I believe one of the high % Lindt bars is vegan

aquafaba meringues/pavlova/fruit

chickpea brownies/blondies....lots of recipes on google

MarklahMarklah Sun 11-Feb-18 20:24:26

I made fruit crumble last night when I had vegan friends over.
I bought some dairy-free custard as I didn't have any powder in the cupboard. The non-vegan guests couldn't taste the difference!

ForgivenessIsDivine Sun 11-Feb-18 20:25:18

minimalistbaker.com/7-ingredient-vegan-cheesecakes/

Make a full size one, less lemon, some vanilla and lavendar, no maple syrup and top with defrosted frozen blueberries.

MsHomeSlice Sun 11-Feb-18 20:25:37

Oreos are not really vegan

ForgivenessIsDivine Sun 11-Feb-18 20:26:02

Oh and Brazil nut's instead of walnuts in the base..

Fairylea Sun 11-Feb-18 20:27:36

Banana fritters are really nice. Slice up banana, coat in batter (soya milk and flour with some oil mixed in works well) and dip the banana in and then fry until golden. Then serve with soya cream.

blueblah Sun 11-Feb-18 20:31:16

this one is divine and no way tastes vegan

www.nigella.com/recipes/lemon-tendercake-with-blueberry-compote

SimonBridges Sun 11-Feb-18 20:37:00

Thank you so much.

There are loads on google but it’s nice to hear about the ones that are actually nice and work.

SimonBridges Sun 11-Feb-18 20:38:10

Oh, we use oat milk, will that work in the Jamie ganache in the place of soya?

PaperdollCartoon Mon 12-Feb-18 07:13:02

MsHomeSlice yes they are accidentally vegan. The issue is possible cross contamination, they contain no animal products. Even the Vegan Society rules state that things labelled ‘may contain’ due to possible cross contamination are still classed as vegan. They are only a possible issue for extreme allergy sufferers.

SimonBridges it probably would work if it’s a good thick oat milk

movingtowardsthelight Mon 12-Feb-18 07:45:50

Saw this a week ago and thought it looked really good.

https://youtu.be/1x8BLrXFE0g

thedevilinablackdress Mon 12-Feb-18 14:08:25

Avocado
Cocoa powder
Honey
Lime juice
(Experiment with last 3 to taste)

All in blender till smooth. Chill a bit, serve with some fruit maybe. Amazingly lovely.

Talith Mon 12-Feb-18 14:10:42

There's always fruit salad!

wejammin Mon 12-Feb-18 15:47:23

This recipe - www.nigella.com/recipes/salted-chocolate-tart

Sub with vegan butter (I use pure) milk and cream (I use oat milk and oat cream) and swap the olive oil for coconut oil because it sets beautiful. It's divine

brillopants Mon 12-Feb-18 16:12:35

thedevil honey isn't vegan but you could use other sweet syrups- sounds divine!

drspouse Wed 14-Feb-18 19:24:35

The value crumble toppings seem to be mainly vegan if you want quick and cheap!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: