Talk

Advanced search

Quitting dairy and the results

(17 Posts)
Samantha003 Sat 06-Jan-18 23:48:47

Hi

Interested to hear from anyone who has quit dairy for any reason, and what difference you noticed if any ??

I'm not intolerant as far as I'm aware but debating quitting for few reasons.

Thanks smile xo

FuckFaulkerILikeTheGruffalo Sun 07-Jan-18 14:55:49

Tbh I went full on plant based vegan from a typical carnist diet so I don't know whether it was cutting out meat, diary, eggs or increasing my veg and legume intake that made me feel good. I do remember cutting down massively on dairy when I was still omni for a few months, by happenstance though. It made my digestive problems a lot better, no cramps. It didn't clear the skin on my face because that's genetic (so says my dermatologist) but it did clear any blemishes I would get on my back or chest area.

I now have a regular and comfortable digestive system, have lots of energy, don't get headaches and my athletic performance is better. Still get colds but they don't hit me as hard. How much of that is cutting the dairy or the flesh though, honestly not sure.

pickledparsnip Sun 07-Jan-18 15:00:54

Watching with interest. I am currently vegan, and have been so on and off over the years. I've never noticed any significant weight loss. Mind you that's probably because I can still eat crisps!

pickledparsnip Sun 07-Jan-18 15:01:10

Feel healthier though.

Tmgc123 Fri 26-Jan-18 07:26:40

I feel so much healthier, but the biggest change has been for my boyfriend who it turns out was allergic to dairy!

His sinuses were always blocked, he even had operations on them. He took antihistamines daily, couldn’t breathe, and was sniffing and sneezing a lot!

So whilst I feel generally perkier, he feels actively amazing!

PinkCloudDweller Tue 30-Jan-18 20:51:44

Tmgc, what you say about your boyfriend is interesting! How long did it take for him to notice the results?

Rottweilers Fri 02-Feb-18 21:42:56

To be honest I just feel better knowing I don’t contribute to the dairy industry. x

user1494849703 Sat 03-Feb-18 11:10:00

Hello, been vegetarian for 25 years but am quite a bit overweight and was diagnosed with high cholesterol. After 4 weeks my cholesterol has improved a bit which is amazing and a good enough reason to stick with it for me x

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Feb-18 11:36:22

I have been non dairy for a while now, a bit on and off though due to Xmas and b\days. So I can tell when my nose and eyes start to run , plus I sneeze and have a very irritating cough when I've had some dairy.

So I much prefer to be without it! (the rest of my family are veggie) Apart from omni dh Though he too is miles better when he's off dairy.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Feb-18 11:38:01

I take echinacea when I've had dairy which is a great help with the hay fever effects!

Soyalatteforme Sat 10-Feb-18 11:44:04

When I quit dairy my hay fever just stopped, apart from the odd sniff; previously I had a blocked nose May- September. My digestive issues got better too. If I have a small amount of dairy now I end up straight in the loo 😕

Soyalatteforme Sat 10-Feb-18 11:44:30

And my PMT inproved. Less rogue hormones in my system I guess.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Feb-18 12:34:49

Yes exactly Soya I just remembered that I used to get a lot of tonsillitis in my 20s and after checking the herbal books I gave up dairy No more tonsillitis!!!! I sailed through my menopause too.

Ohyesiam Sat 10-Feb-18 17:05:23

I've been reading a lot about this recently, as both of my kids are dairy haters. It seems that calcium can be really easily obtained from a veg rich diet, and that the only concern is iodine. So either include seaweed in your diet or supplement it. Lambert's does a good one.

ppeatfruit Sat 10-Feb-18 20:42:48

Most human adults (and some babies) don't have the correct chemical in their gut to digest and benefit from dairy foods. The protein molecules are too large (think how much protein a calf needs to stand up in a day) compared to a baby who walks in approx one year.

Let alone the cruelty involved in the business.

Pickleshickles Thu 22-Feb-18 09:14:35

I've been dairy free for a month due to my breastfed baby having CMPA.

I've noticed no difference health wise at all. I think I've lost weight but not noticeably.

No improvements anywhere, just an emptier wallet buying all the ridiculously expensive dairy replacements.

MrsWhirly Sat 24-Feb-18 10:45:58

I was completely diary free for 3-years whilst I breast fed my son who is highly allergic.

I definitely list weight, but that was because of not being able to Just pop into a shop or petrol station and buying chocolate or cake as this is my downfall.

Subsequently I still eat very little diary I.e continue to have porridge with vegan milk, yoghurts as I found myself full of mucus and congested when I tried to return to
Milk.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: