Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone recommend a vegan cheese ?

(11 Posts)
WillowtheWasp Thu 28-Sep-17 19:44:42

Recent vegan and only thing that has held me back for years is the cheese, been off meat, eggs, milk for years. Please tell me there is a good substitute out there?

MollyHuaCha Thu 28-Sep-17 20:12:29

There is a nice vegan cheddar in Tesco - their own brand.

Vegangelist Sat 30-Sep-17 22:54:40

You really have to try a few. Many love the Tesco or Sainsburys own brands, but I could take them or leave them. Vegusto (order online) is my favourite, but I don't really bother with cheese these days. I think the best advice if you are a new vegan is not have any at all for a few months, wait for your tastebuds to adjust, then try a few. And don't expect them to be exactly like dairy cheese; more, consider them another ingredient.

vegusto.co.uk/

There are lots of new vegan cheeses on the market that I have yet to try, getting rave reviews. So keep on trying them all!

Vegangelist Sat 30-Sep-17 22:57:46

I've not tried these, but they look pretty indulgent: www.yumbles.com/vegan-meat-and-cheese/?f=5&order=pop

Ditsy1980 Sat 30-Sep-17 23:01:19

Do not buy violife. It is like eating rubber. confused

SerendipityFelix Tue 03-Oct-17 06:42:51

Any commercial vegan cheese I’ve bought in a supermarket has pretty much tasted like sick, to me.

I’ve had much better luck experimenting with cheesy flavours in my own cooking (mainly using nutritional yeast), and making my own nut/veg cheeses from recipes online.

annaharvey Wed 04-Oct-17 20:30:11

I bumped into this thread seeing the name 'vegan cheese' eventhough I could not think of a cheese like that.

"Vegan Cheese" is one of the best Oxymoron I have come across :-)

MeDownSouth Thu 05-Oct-17 17:58:14

we had sheese garlic and herb spread, my (meat eating) oh proclaimed it pretty good!

Incitatus Tue 10-Oct-17 10:09:44

I’ve bought the Sainsbury’s vegan cheese, grated it and then store it in the freezer. You just remove a small amount as it’s quite strong. I had some sprinkled over a pasta sauce last night and couldn’t tell the difference between that and real cheese.

ChickensGoBoak Thu 12-Oct-17 11:07:04

If you aren't local you may have to order online, but time chease do some lovely varieties. I particularly like the smoked varieties and the cranberry. Not....the cheapest but lovely!

GhostCurry Fri 13-Oct-17 21:46:11

I thought Sheese was horrible!

I've never tried this, but plan to soon as it looks promising:

www.rhiansrecipes.com/2017/06/01/vegan-stretchy-melty-grilled-cheese-gf/

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now