Talk

Advanced search

What's a good egg substitute for coating things in breadcrumbs?

(10 Posts)
NannyR Sat 03-Jun-17 19:24:12

I'm starting to make some changes to my diet and making a few vegan meals each week.
Tonight I've made katsu curry and substituted the chicken with slices of tofu instead - if I was doing chicken I would toss it in flour, then dip in egg and then breadcrumbs. I did this tonight with the tofu slices, but in future what could I use instead of the egg to make the breadcrumbs stick?
It was really delicious and I didn't miss the chicken at all so I will definitely be cooking it again.

BigGreenOlives Sat 03-Jun-17 19:25:32

Do you have a vegan mayonnaise? That would work.

SplitInfinitive Sat 03-Jun-17 21:23:58

I think you can use gram flour (chickpea flour) mixed to a paste with water as an egg substitute for getting breadcrumbs to stick. I know I've used a paste like that for thickening stews etc as well.

FlaviaAlbia Sat 03-Jun-17 21:25:51

I use vegetable oil when I'm out of eggs and it works OK with chicken. I'm not sure if it would work as well with tofu though.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 03-Jun-17 21:26:54

if you are not actually vegan then mayo or yogurt works well to hold crumbs on, just use one of those silicone brushes to daub it on.

TondelayaDellaVentamiglia Sat 03-Jun-17 21:28:18

have also used pesto, but that's not vegan either, it is however utterly delish on bashed chicken with a crumb coating.

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 03-Jun-17 21:34:03

But you can easily make a vegan 'pesto' without the Parmesan (add some nutritional yeast instead for the 'cheesy' flavour)

NannyR Sat 03-Jun-17 23:22:41

Thanks for all the ideas, I have some gram flour in the cupboard so i'll have a go with that.

trixymalixy Sat 03-Jun-17 23:36:04

Aquafaba, google it. It's the liquid from a tin of chickpeas. It makes amazing vegan meringues too.

SaneAsABoxOfFrogs Sat 03-Jun-17 23:39:17

Ground flax seeds, mixed to a paste and then chilled for 10 mins. Goes gloopy like eggs. Admittedly, not something likely to be in everyone's cupboard but if you are going to be catering for a vegan regularly (or a toddler with dairy and egg allergies, as I am) it's surprisingly useful, and keeps for ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now