Talk

Advanced search

CRAVINGS!!!!!

(10 Posts)
Perfectplonker Mon 29-May-17 18:11:41

I switched to vegan about three weeks ago.

I've been loving the food, have tried a lot of recipes out of the Thug Kitchen and Ella's books and they've been a hit with the family (who still add their own meat and cheese)

I haven't felt deprived at all and I'm fairly certain I've been eating everything I'm supposed to (lots of vegetables, fruit, leafy greens, pulses etc.)

But for the last two days I've been having really bad cravings for meat and dairy. I wasn't even that fussed about meat and ate very little before!

The neighbour's chicken has been getting some funny looks from me today blush

Do you get actual withdrawals from meat/dairy? I mean, I know it sounds very over dramatic, but it alarmist feels like the cravings I used to get for a ciggu.

Has anyone had this? How long did it last?

I'm very secure and happy in my decision to 'go' vegan. I just have no idea where all this has come from.

gamerchick Mon 29-May-17 18:13:48

Are you due on? It's the only time I crave steak and cheese. I don't know what you could substitute it for though.

Thesp00kykids Mon 29-May-17 18:14:41

Hiya I was vegan on and off for a few years and found if I had cravings for meat I would get Linda McCartney vegan meat substitutes and that definitely helped me. Dairy wise I ate Alpro yoghurts, Sainsbury's does really nice vegan cheese, great on homemade pizza. I found eating these really helped. I was vegan for ethical reasons and when I had really bad cravings I remembered I was doing it for animals and the guilt etc usually stopped my cravings...hope this helps a bit.

Perfectplonker Mon 29-May-17 18:16:24

I actually have just finished my period a couple of days ago (otherwise I would have sworn I was pregnant!)

I will check out those Linda maccrtney meat replacements (by that I mean send Dh out for some while I do bath time grin)

Thesp00kykids Mon 29-May-17 18:22:03

They do loads now, shredded 'chicken' , the burgers are lush !!!!! Sausages are vegan...few other bits ! Yum ! Xx

Perfectplonker Mon 29-May-17 19:00:01

He's come back with some red onion and rosemary sausages, some 'cauldrons' sausages and a 'steak pie' grin

That should do the trick!

Thesp00kykids Mon 29-May-17 19:12:01

Enjoy !!! grin

Ozzde Tue 30-May-17 14:06:13

Try more umami types foods to help with the meat cravings. Marmite on toast I now love compared to pre vegan days when I hated it.

gamerchick Tue 30-May-17 19:46:33

Did they do the trick? (Honestly?)

Perfectplonker Tue 30-May-17 19:58:27

They really did actually grin

It seems to have passed now, no idea what that was all about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now