Talk

Advanced search

Vegan low-carbing: where WILL I get my protein from?!

(33 Posts)
LaContessaDiPlump Tue 09-May-17 08:29:53

Semi-serious title grin there's a limit to how much tofu I can stomach, so what are the best alternatives? I'm struggling slightly with breakfasts in particular, as am trying to be low carb/sugar AND low calorie AND vegan. I like a challenge!

Thanks grin

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 09-May-17 10:07:43

sad Just me then?

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Tue 09-May-17 10:11:27

TBH low carbing and veganism isn't really compatible sad

NiceCuppaTeaAndASitDown Tue 09-May-17 10:20:52

Nuts? Nut butters? Vegan protein powder?

Oscha Tue 09-May-17 10:22:22

Does low carb include low veg usually? (Sorry, am a bit clueless on this stuff.) If it does, I'd say it's impossible while vegan. But for protein, other than tofu - lentils, beans etc? Or do they count as carbs too? Argh it's confusing!

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 09-May-17 10:30:34

I know it's impossible to do real low-carb, but am happy to make the best of a bad job! My main protein sources will contain a lot of carbs but some will be lower than others IYSWIM - I am being lazy and wanted to see if any of you had done this already and had some tips grin

wageslave Tue 09-May-17 10:40:34

When losing weight whilst veggie and doing low carb I relied on cheese, but I found nuts were one of the things that stalled me. I did have some success with smoothies made with soya isolate protein, but stopped using it when I found out how industrialised the extraction process was. If you can stomach the taste/texture, what about rice or pea protein powders?

MrsZB Tue 09-May-17 10:46:55

Vegan cream? Vegan cheese? Vegan yoghurt? Nuts. Vegan meat replacements e.g. quorn have vegan chunks now.

LaContessaDiPlump Tue 09-May-17 10:50:00

The 'cheeses' I've come across all seem to rely heavily on coconut oil rather than protein, which does fit the spec I suppose but I'm not that keen on coconut oil! I do like nuts though, and have got a packet of what a vegan friend calls 'Fuck' (Linda McCartney's fake duck grin) since he raves about it and uses it all the time.

I will look at protein powders too.....

DeliveredByKiki Wed 10-May-17 07:37:43

Do beans/lentils/legumes count as low carb?

dangermouseisace Wed 10-May-17 17:19:34

if you're vegan you generally need to have a combination of grain and legume/nuts etc so low carb is hard if you want to get all your amino acids and not survive on tofu etc.

That said, in the mornings I usually have a smoothie with fruit, soya milk, protein powder, ground flaxseeds and some chia seeds and that's me good til lunch. But I suppose fruit would have too much carb/sugar?

I think low carb is the work of the devil.

TwentyCups Wed 10-May-17 21:08:00

Nuts are a good option, every salad I have is bulked with seeds and nuts especially pumpkin seeds.

However I think low carb on a vegan diet will be hard - you would probably need to look at four - six meals a day so you don't go hungry.

JustForThisFred Wed 10-May-17 21:22:13

It's hard.

Previously I was vegan, but I'm not any more, just vegetarian (long story & I do feel better when vegan, but can't 'get there' again right now).

I did well on BIWI's (low carb) boot camp, she's a STAR 🌸, I had a medical dx and I don't know how I'd have got through it without her, I honestly don't.

Unfortunately, for a vegetarian who doesn't eat eggs & hates cooking too, it's really, really hard. I've been off the wagon for a couple of years now and I've only just been able to face Greek yogurt again recently and I still can't face almonds.

Waitrose stock Taifun's basil infused tofu (in the fridge section, near the dips, olives, quorn 'ham' etc) which I really like. It's very firm and you use it as it is, cold, much as you'd use ham for example.

But getting enough protein & fat is difficult (butter, butter, more butter) and much more difficult for a vegan.

I lost 3 stone. Sadly it's all found its way home again.

Nothing else works for me though.

rosiejaune Wed 10-May-17 21:25:30

If you eat enough calories, you will get enough protein; it's in everything. Unless you eat nothing but celery and fruit.

I was low carb for a year (since turning vegan). Now trying nutritarian, which isn't that much different, but allows occasional grains.

anotherdayanothersquabble Wed 10-May-17 21:29:25

I think Deliciously Ella is a Paleo Vegan therefore low carb (though ignore all her deserts, syrups and dates!). Not entirely sure but might be worth checking out...

Iamastonished Wed 10-May-17 21:38:51

The Linda Mcartney fake duck is really good, as is the Veggie Deli one. DD often makes a salad then tops it with stir fired fake duck in some hoi sin sauce.

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 10-May-17 22:00:38

Well today was quite good; for lunch I had a quarter of a pack of 'Fuck' plus 80g of broad beans and a bit of red pepper (it tasted better than it reads). 24g of protein! Admittedly DH had made daal a few days ago and so I had a cup of that in the evening.

I'm doing well on the low calorie front, it's just the low carb/high protein that's a challenge!

Goldfishjane Thu 11-May-17 09:57:20

rosie "I was low carb for a year (since turning vegan)"

so what was your average day's food like?

BeyondStrongAndStable Thu 11-May-17 10:06:10

I'm atm vegetarian and lower carb. I eat a lot of lentils and beans. Obviously they are higher carb than a regular LCHF diet, but it's still an improvement on chips, cake and bread grin

Goldfishjane Thu 11-May-17 13:49:58

I don't like bean and lentils. I only recently realised why after reading about a MNer child with sensory processing issues - it's the texture. I have a feeling I might have some sensory issues - can't cope with noise and light and goodness knows what - but I never thought of it in context of food before.

TwentyCups Thu 11-May-17 18:07:54

I used to be the same with beans and lentils but have forced myself to eat them for health reasons since going vegan from vegetarian. I started by baking chick peas in the oven til they went all crispy - works as a fajita filling. I then kept blending them into hummus. That got me used to the taste and I found I liked it. Then I did the same with other beans. Took a few months but now I quite like them.

Still hate baked beans and kidney beans though - the most prevalent offenders of my childhood! grin

KingIrving Sat 13-May-17 01:55:36

Spirulina is an algae with a high content of proteins and B12, omega 3 and omega 6.
It is the most disgusting thing to eat and I now take it in gelules (18 per day)

PhoenixJasmine Sat 13-May-17 18:53:05

I sneak spirilina powder into a green smoothie, with enough fruits and dates you can't taste it. Also chia and hemp seeds are good for high-protein-small-volume value.

Ginorchoc Sat 13-May-17 18:55:51

Tempah

BIWI Sat 13-May-17 19:08:26

Thank you, JustforthisFred blush

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: