Talk

Advanced search

Vegan batch cooking?

(10 Posts)
SimonNeilshair Sun 07-May-17 20:59:29

So glad there is now a vegan section on MN 😀👍

I've just had some delicious vegan lasagne out of my freezer for dinner tonight, and it got me thinking what other meals can I cook and portion up for the freezer.

Any ideas please?

SweetThames Mon 08-May-17 08:07:45

This is what I currently have batch cooked in my freezer: chilli, soups (broccoli, carrot and lentil, spicy cauliflower), Deliciously Ella's carbonara, roasted red pepper sauce and veggies, lentil bolognese, chick pea dal.

WhereHaveYouGinAllMyLife Mon 08-May-17 08:09:29

I tend to batch cook things like dahls, curries and chillies. My favourite thing to batch cook is red lentil dahl, I double or triple the recipe and make it in a huge jam pan but it could be made in a slow cooker if you pre fried the onions and spices. Here's my favourite recipe ever
2 cups fine chopped onion
4 cloves minced garlic
2 tablespoons minced ginger
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp ground coriander seed
2 tsp turmeric
Half tsp ground cardamom seeds
Half tsp ground cinnamon
Half tsp cayenne
2 cups red lentils
6 cups of stock
2 cups of passata

Fry the onions until translucent then add the garlic, ginger and spices and fry briefly. Add the lentils, stock and passata and simmer until it's thick and lovely.

I have only been vegan for a couple of months but I have been making this for years, I have often made it for gatherings and it goes down well with everyone. If you need a small child friendly version the cayenne can be removed and some chopped apricots added.

Spottyladybird Mon 08-May-17 11:24:27

I batch cook lentil ragu, dhal, soup, tomato/veg sauce.

Makes life so much easier!!

SimonNeilshair Mon 08-May-17 16:37:45

Thanks for the ideas, particularly the carbonara! I have a coupe of Deliciously Ella's books, do you know which one it's in Sweet?

I'm in a can't be arsed phase at the moment so having things to grab out of the freezer will make life easier. I just need to summon the energy to do the cooking now hmm

SweetThames Mon 08-May-17 19:37:41

It's her 'Every Day' one, and the carbonara is absolutely delish, although I do bulk it out with chick peas and an onion as I am fat a big eater!

SplitInfinitive Tue 09-May-17 08:06:23

Can I add a couple of my favourite batch cooking recipes, both from the Deliciously Ella Every Day as well - the Spiced Sweet Potato Stew on page 170. I did try it with spinach the first time but DH didn't like it so I tend to replace it with peas now. And on the next page, Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric curry. Both of these are a hit - we both love them.

I often make big pots of chillies, curries and Bolognese sauces, too.

SweetThames Tue 09-May-17 17:41:31

Ooh I like the sound of both of those – will stick one on next week's meal plan!

PhoenixJasmine Sat 13-May-17 18:09:00

Placemarking as am rebooting my meal planning. Was planning on making a lasagne for the freezer tomorrow - also thinking moussaka and 'garden pie' (like shepherd's/cottage pie but... vegetables!).

SweetThames Fri 19-May-17 21:21:32

Thanks to SplitInfinitive for the recommendation of the Chickpea, Quinoa and Turmeric curry – made it for tea tonight and we both really enjoyed it (although plan to up the amount of chickpeas and reduce the turmeric and chilli flakes next time; we're wussy!).

The best thing is that I've got two more meals' worth ready to freeze, too...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now