Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Vegan breakfasts

(32 Posts)
Wormulonian Thu 04-May-17 08:22:25

This is where I struggle most. I am not a great breakfast lover anyway. For breakfast I usually have a decaff cappucino and maybe a biscotti or plain biscuit and a piece of fruit. In the past I might have had an Irish soda farl or potato farl and a poached egg around 9am with DP if I'm at home.

What do you have for vegan breakfast?

schrutefarmbeets Thu 04-May-17 08:28:07

I have porridge every day - large porridge oats with chia seeds, nuts, a cut up apple and a big spoonful of peanut butter thrown in. Keeps me going easily til lunch time smile

Otherwise in the summer I have banana smoothies with oat/coconut milk.

claraschu Thu 04-May-17 08:30:36

Tofu scramble (onion, grated carrot, grated pumpkin, peppers, mustard, little bit of miso, perhaps a little chilli)
Porridge (mixture of oat groats, amaranth, short grain brown rice, with seeds on top, and a drop of soy milk)
Pancakes (mix of white, wholemeal and corn flours, mix of soy milk and lemon juice, baking powder and soda)
Miso soup (wake, pumpkin, corn, kale, grated ginger, add miso at the end and simmer but don't boil)

PhoenixJasmine Thu 04-May-17 08:31:00

Cereal/porridge with non-dairy milk, topped with seeds, dried fruit, carob nibs
Similar various homemade granolas with non-dairy milk/yoghurt
Chia puddings/overnight oats type things
Fresh fruit or fruit/green smoothie
Cooked brekkie stuff - potato (or sweet potato) rosti, garlic mushrooms, cooked spinach/tomatoes, red pepper/sweetcorn fritters, beans, vegan sausages....
Stuff on toast - beans, nut/seed butters or avocado
Pancakes or similar with maple syrup and fruit
But sometimes can't face eating, and breakfast is a nakd bar whilst driving to work!

claraschu Thu 04-May-17 08:31:12

sorry wake should be wakame

overmydeadbody Thu 04-May-17 08:32:56

Today we had crumpets with peanut butter and sliced banana.

Tomorrow it's baked beans on toast

Rockaby Thu 04-May-17 10:43:16

Potato bread is (sometimes at least) vegan!

highinthesky Thu 04-May-17 10:45:25

If you're not a breakfast person, just keep some fruit handy for when you do get hungry.

AtlantaGinandTonic Thu 04-May-17 10:47:23

I have peanut butter toast, or toast with vegan spread and blueberry preserves, usually with coffee. Occasionally I'll have crumpets. I'm not big on breakfast, so for myself I keep it simple.

dangermouseisace Thu 04-May-17 10:53:43

I used to always have porridge. Now I have a smoothie according to a formula I found on no meat athlete that works well here and maybe a bit of toast and peanut butter if I feel like it. I find I don't get so hungry during the morning now I have a smoothie, weirdly.

Wormulonian Thu 04-May-17 10:57:45

Thanks - so many great ideas. They all sound delicious. Baked beans on toast is a great easy stand by. The rosti idea is great for a weekend brunch. Cooked breakfast stuff at the weekend will be great for my lot - will probably try to do a variety - a sort of meze- as I seem to be having great success with this approach for evening meals (Indian Thali, Turkish meze etc).

Think I probably need to start trying out "milks" for the porridge, pancake type options.

LanaKanesLeftNippleTassle Thu 04-May-17 10:59:03

My current favourite is a sort of vegan Huevos Rancheros. (mexican breakfast)

Fry onions, peppers, mushrooms, courgette/ whatever I have, and fresh chilli (I like it HOT!)
Add cumin, coriander, paprika, cayenne pepper and garlic.
Add tin/ fresh chopped tomatoes.
Simmer for a while, then spread on a warm tortilla.

It's bloody lovely, and is an excellent hangover cure! wink

Sometimes I add vegan cheese, either while cooking or on top.

Todayisanewday75 Fri 05-May-17 09:26:12

How about rice cakes or buckwheat cakes (I find the texture of buckwheat cakes easier to eat in the morning) with hummus and diced tomatoes? Both easy to make and easy to eat if youre not big on breakfast.

Wormulonian Sat 06-May-17 13:03:48

Yes - I like buckwheat crepes - good idea. Thanks

Rantymare Sat 06-May-17 13:07:15

Linda McCartney sausages and beans smile

MollyHuaCha Sat 06-May-17 13:20:21

I'm not vegan, but my breakfast always is because I don't eat dairy food. Here are my typical breakfasts:

Porridge made with water with blackberries or raspberries stirred in, served with almond milk.

Cereal with banana slices.

Soya / coconut yoghurt with berries.

Crumpet with almond butter and banana slices.

Elledouble Sat 06-May-17 13:24:12

Avocado on toast (I would live on this if I could afford to buy enough avocados)
Scrambled tofu - you could even make it into a breakfast burrito
(Linda McCartney) sausage sandwich
Beans on toast
Mushrooms on toast (sautée or roast with a bit of thyme and maybe some vegan cream)

LadyMonicaBaddingham Sat 06-May-17 13:31:43

Avocado Toast with chilli flakes
Mashed banana on toast
Chia pudding with coconut milk and some chopped fresh fruit
Overnight oats done with nut milk (unsweetened hazelnut milk is my favourite but almond works too) and some stewed fruit.
Leftover potatoes diced and fried with Indian spices

RedheadLover Sun 07-May-17 12:36:22

Some great ideas on here!

Like a few PPs, my 'go to' is overnight oats. My preferred way to make it is using oats, chocolate-flavoured vegan protein powder, a small spoonful of cacao powder and alpro dairy free yoghurt/milk.

Top it with whatever fruit and nuts you've got in the house (my favourite combination is raspberries and pecans) and it'a truly delicious.

SplitInfinitive Sun 07-May-17 17:19:49

I'm really enjoying a bowl of Waitrose GF muesli with coconut milk and cocunut "yogurt". Sometimes I make overnight oats with grated apple and mixed seeds.

Str4ngedaysindeed Sun 07-May-17 17:23:50

A blend of whatever fruit I have - usually bananas, blueberries strawberries or whatever else we have picked up cheap! with alpro yoghurt (vanilla is best) oat milk and a handful of oats and chia seeds. Yum.

MillieTante Sun 07-May-17 17:28:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

economymode Tue 06-Jun-17 21:11:29

I default to porridge or homemade granola, so lots of inspiration here, thanks!

PhoenixJasmine Wed 14-Jun-17 07:30:41

Quite proud of my brekkie this morning so thought I'd indulge myself and sharesmile

Scrambled tofu
Mushrooms with garlic & oregano
Spinach & red peppers topped with sunflower & pumpkin seeds
Chilli avocado

YUM

Scrambled tofu is firm tofu, nutritional yeast, tumeric, and some oat milk & water for consistency. Topped with black pepper to bump up the nutrient value of the turmeric, and because it tastes good also of course!

PhoenixJasmine Wed 14-Jun-17 07:43:57

Just for extra not-even-stealth boasting, apologies!

I ran it though cronometer, and it's met 80% of my day's nutritional targets in one meal - including 103% protein intake, almost all amino acids at 100% or more. Almost vitamins and minerals met, 90% of my calcium intake in the tofu and spinach. I'm not a low carber so don't know what counts as low carb, but this was 30g net.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now