Talk

Advanced search

Any pregnant vegans out there?

(14 Posts)
shakeyospeare Wed 26-Apr-17 14:23:42

It would be great to talk pregnancy and babies and birth and stuff with fellow vegans.

I'm currently pregnant with my third but first vegan pregnancy smile

Rockaby Wed 26-Apr-17 15:47:11

I hope you don't mind me commenting; I am neither pregnant, nor vegan yet! My DH and I are currently TTC DC2 and I am also making my way to being vegan. There is a minuscule chance I might fall pregnant and become vegan before you have your baby grin. Unless you are due soon of course.

I'm sure someone more useful will be along soon!

shakeyospeare Wed 26-Apr-17 15:58:04

Hi @Rockaby, how exciting! I was vegan before I conceived baby no 2 but then went back to being vegetarian and then vegan for 18 months (veggie for 16 years).

I'm nearly 10 weeks and so tired! Propping myself up with Spatone iron water, orange juice, and grapes smile

Good luck with TTC - that's always the best bit! ;)

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Wed 26-Apr-17 15:58:32

Me!
How far along are you op? I'm 30 weeks and this is my first vegan pregnancy. (Second baby)

shakeyospeare Wed 26-Apr-17 16:36:54

@LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Hi!

I'm nearly 10 weeks, third baby smile

Midwife is thrilled I'm vegan (all are at home except OH) and said, "Oooh! That's the healthiest diet ever!" I didn't tell her about the Violife addiction....

How have you found this pregnancy compared to your previous one?

LiDLrichardsPistachioSack Wed 26-Apr-17 19:52:07

Congrats! smile
Yeah no one's batted an eyelid at my veganism, even through pregnancy. I have felt much more rubbish this pregnancy but I think that's due to different hormones (boy this time) and not being able to rest nearly as much as I did first time round! I've been craving kale salads and oranges this time, instead of stodge, and eating really really healthily so it can't be my diet! I'm feeling pretty good now though I have to say. How are you feeling so far?
god I love violife

stalkingfred Thu 27-Apr-17 06:50:47

Hi, congratulations on your pregnancy!

I was vegan throughout my second pregnancy. My daughter is now 6 months and is fully breast fed, I'm still vegan and we all seem to be nice and healthy! My son is 3.5 and although I wasn't vegan whilst pregnant with him we have now been so for 2 years.

As a fully vegan family we don't get any judgement really, I just found the food in the hospital after the birth a bit lacking! But I think it was the first time and I wasn't vegan at that point!

I remember the tiredness of the first tri well, I just had to eat very little and very often!

MythicalChicken Thu 27-Apr-17 06:52:45

There is a group on Facebook just for prego vegans: www.facebook.com/groups/1153532824671761/

insideoutoutsidein Tue 02-May-17 13:06:05

ooooh, will be keeping a close eye on this thread. Not yet TTC but will be in the next year or two but was worried I would be too lazy to eat healthy vegan food and eat my usual vegan junk food and hinder baby's development. How are you all finding taking in enough nutrients etc? And are you taking any supplements?

nInachu Wed 03-May-17 10:55:33

Hello 24 week preggo vegan here, been vegan for 16 years....

shakeyospeare Wed 03-May-17 12:19:08

@LiDLrichardsPistachioSack I'm just so tired and morning sickness is draining but hopefully things will ease up soon (11 weeks now). I am eating lots of red grapes - not a craving but other food makes me nauseous - apart from Violife, which is surely cheese of the Gods?

@stalkingfred thank you! It's nice to see that being vegan is much more mainstream now - even nicer when HCPs fully support it because they recognise how healthy it is (when not consuming blocks of Violife)

@MythicalChicken I'll have a look, thanks smile

@insideoutoutsidein I usually eat really well - lots of colourful fruit and veg, I take a B12 supplement, iron water, and folic acid and that's it smile Need to find a vegan vitamin D supplement as found out the one I had been taking wasn't vegan sad

@nInachu Congratulations! How are things so far?

nInachu Wed 03-May-17 13:20:36

@shakeyospeare

All fine, except I feel huge!

All my bloods results have been amazing, in fact my Iron is better than a lot of meat eaters according to MW.

shakeyospeare Thu 11-May-17 08:58:23

I've got my scan tomorrow! So excited!

Since taking spatone I feel better - always been prone to anaemia but all other bloods are really good so not worried.

Dreamt I could feel the baby kicking last night - only it was kicking really hard! Woke up to find it was my delightful toddler 😂

lovingmumhood Fri 26-May-17 12:31:50

My husband and I are vegan... I was vegan whilst trying for, pregnant with and breastfeeding my little one who is now ten months :D and am currently seven months pregnant (vegan pregnancy still obviously) with number two :D

Our little one does have dairy because he had to have formula, but is transitioning to oatly milk and he pretty much has a vegan diet other than that and is healthy and going up and up in centiles!

Also, I struggled with anaemia when I was omni but in my previous and current pregnancy my iron levels, as a vegan, got a big surprised and impressed reaction from the midwives both times for being so good :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now