Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How necessary is the MMR Booster?

(45 Posts)
MarshaBrady Mon 26-Oct-09 22:32:07

We have done all the immunisations. This is the last one.

Apparently the vaccine doesn't work in 5 - 10 per cent of children who receive the first dose of MMR.

So it is fairly likely that ds will be immune from the first one.

Any thoughts?

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:34:24

Well it's all about risk isn't it?

Odd question really, if you've given the first one I'd follow through with the booster, bit pointless otherwise.

henryhuggins Mon 26-Oct-09 22:35:02

if you've done them all, then you're pro-vaccine? I'd go for the booster - you could be in that 5 - 10%

MarshaBrady Mon 26-Oct-09 22:35:22

Not really an odd question. Ds had the first one and I was fine about it.

Things have changed since then, my perception of risk has changed.

Hence the question.

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:40:00

Right, I understand.

Ummmm. Dunno. I can only tell you that I would go for the booster. You have the statistics, 5-10% (apparently), only you can decide how necessary you deem it to be.

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:47:23

Statistics do my 'ead in grin

MarshaBrady Mon 26-Oct-09 22:52:14

Me too.

I just threw the statistic in as a result of a last minute google.

Just to show, you know I'd made, some effort. grin

But I'm hoping someone will come along who is very immunisation aware with it's all a big con... or the first is rendered pointless without the second.

Or something like that.

Cadelaide Mon 26-Oct-09 22:53:23

Now that approach I do understand grin

Sooty7 Tue 27-Oct-09 00:04:14

Message withdrawn

Shells Tue 27-Oct-09 01:26:11

Yes, you can get a blood test done to see if first one has worked.
There are only a tiny percentage of people for whom the vaccine is NOT a good idea. If you search on old threads you'll find much more info and can decide if that applies to your DC.

stuffitllllama Tue 27-Oct-09 05:24:20

I wouldn't do it, just because you've done them all so far. If your perception of risk has changed then it's never to late to say no.

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Oct-09 07:16:13

Yes the threads here are good and have read many, which in part has changed my rather pro-immunisation attitude (that and the new situation).

The blood test sound like a good idea. Although ds has had one before and will hate hate it, as he knows what it is.

It is a privately done thing?

Jujubean77 Tue 27-Oct-09 07:24:20

we are having a test to see if DD is still immune, yes is done privately. We had singles.

DougalDoneGood Tue 27-Oct-09 07:28:45

I'm watching this thread with interest.

DD had the first one, then a couple of seizures, and hasn't yet had the second dose. I'm just concerned about it triggering a seizure(s) although my GP has assured me it wont. I just don't feel happy about letting her have it. Now I'm getting shirty letters from the surgery basically telling me DD wont be allowed to go to uni without having all her vaccinations. Erm....Ok then!

I'd like to know about the blood test too.

MaryBS Tue 27-Oct-09 07:32:21

My daughter had a bad reaction to the first MMR and has never had the follow-up vaccination. We found out later (from seeing her records after we moved house) that the Dr or someone sneakily put that she HAD had the follow-up, and not only that, the date was when we were away on holiday hmm. Saved us being hassled, but you do have to wonder...

I'd heard about the 90-95% immunity as well. And also wondered about getting her tested for immunity - but if it were done under the NHS, presumably I'd have to explain about the above!

My son, who has Asperger syndrome, interestingly enough had no bad reaction and has had both initial and booster MMR.

MaryBS Tue 27-Oct-09 07:33:53

xposted with you Dougal! Sounds like we had similar experiences. DD didn't have seizures, but she was like a zombie for 3 days, she stopped talking, and only moved if you picked her up and carried her. Scared the life out of me! She was 2 at the time.

stuffitllllama Tue 27-Oct-09 08:20:33

Are vaccinations mandatory for university education? I think not. What a lie.

How does your GP know that it won't trigger a seizure? How can he possibly know? It's impossible for him to know that. He/she gets paid more if your daughter is vaccinated. Sounds like he/she is telling you any old thing.

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Oct-09 08:42:39

Dougal if ds that must have been very frightening, if ds had had seizures I don't think I would go back. And don't blame you MaryBS.

It's awful isn't it when you lose that easy going approach to immunisations, throws you a bit, and makes decisions much harder.

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Oct-09 08:43:06

Dougal that must have...

TotalChaos Tue 27-Oct-09 08:46:10

it's also possible (though not as accurate) to check immunity to measles via a swab. my DS caught measles last winter after having first MMR but not booster. the measles itself was very mild, but he had lots of D & V bugs for about 4 months afterwards, which I suspect was due to reduced immunity after the measles.

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Oct-09 08:47:44

Now that sounds promising! Yes a swab that would be the best option out of all of them.

fishie Tue 27-Oct-09 08:51:43

I am havering about mmr booster as well. not because of perception of risk exactly - i did do all other vaccines.

more it makes me feel cross that it is exactly the same vaccination - not a booster a repeat. aimed at the 5-10% it may not have worked on. who is to say it will work this time? there is just something so overkill about it.

and i've been told ds can't start school without it, they haven't started on university yet...

Jujubean77 Tue 27-Oct-09 09:03:41

I agree - what on earth makes this GP say she won't have another seizure? DD reacted v badly to the Hib which is why we decided for singles MMR as God knows what she would have been like after it.

Mt friends DD also got very ill after MMR and the only thing the GP said was - don't let it put you off having the booster hmm

stuffitllllama Tue 27-Oct-09 13:30:07

fishie are you in the us? YOu don't have to have mmr to start school in the UK.

MarshaBrady Tue 27-Oct-09 14:30:25

I know in Australia you need it to start school, both initial and booster. Not sure about US

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now