Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

a girl has died after being given cervarix

(86 Posts)
stuffitllllama Mon 28-Sep-09 19:31:16

here

TheBalladofGayTony Mon 28-Sep-09 19:35:28

poor girl, it is not proven that it was the vaccine though.

EldonAve Mon 28-Sep-09 19:38:24

anyone know why the UK is using Cervarix instead of Gardasil?

said Mon 28-Sep-09 19:40:08

Oh god, how awful. This whole HPV vaccine thing is making me so uncomfortable. Have deferred already for my eldest.

sarah293 Mon 28-Sep-09 19:40:15

Message withdrawn

said Mon 28-Sep-09 19:40:54

Cervarix is cheaper, I believe

stuffitllllama Mon 28-Sep-09 19:41:27

UK gov has had a deal going with GSK for a couple of years I believe

yes Tony, I am convinced it will be decided that this is a coincidence

hmm

her parents may have agonised about whether or not to do it

awful, poor poor parents

alwayslookingforanswers Mon 28-Sep-09 19:42:30

agree with TBGT - terribl sad - but at the moment it's speculation that it was the vaccine and not something else.

BelleWatling Mon 28-Sep-09 19:42:36

Cervarix is cheaper - it only protects against certain strands compared to Gardasil. sad no proof it is the vaccine though.

stuffitllllama Mon 28-Sep-09 19:43:10

But maybe am mixing it up with the swine flu vaccine which rests on an agreement made a couple of years ago.

There must be a close relationship.

stuffitllllama Mon 28-Sep-09 19:55:03

GSK says there are no data on subjects with "impaired immune responses". Seems to suggest that it hasn't been tested on people with "impaired immune responses".

I didn't know that. I thought it was supposed to be safe for everybody. What is an impaired immune response? Does any atopic condition count? Does it mean it doesn't even work if you have an "impaired immune response"? It just reads like they didn't even test on those people.

Musukebba Mon 28-Sep-09 20:25:48

Very sad news indeed sad. Judging by speed of onset; probably anaphylaxis...

vinblanc Mon 28-Sep-09 21:07:22

When did the girl have the vaccine? My DD had it on Friday and has been absolutely fine.

tatt Mon 28-Sep-09 21:23:57

my daughter has chosen not to be vaccinated. However - young people do occcasionally die from other causes. It is too soon to assume it was the vaccine.

If it was the vaccine a reaction as severe as this is very unusual. Even an anphylactic reaction can often be treated (I've had to use adrenaline on my nut allergic child, it can be a life-saver and it should always be available when children are being vaccinated).

Nothing in life is without risk. Everyone has to balance the potentially increased risk of cervical cancer against the possibility of a severe vaccine reaction.

Cervarix protects against the 2 strains implicated in the majority of cervical cancer. It's also claimed to provoke an immune response that lasts longer, although the vaccine hasn't been around long enough to have tested that.

sarah293 Tue 29-Sep-09 09:39:03

Message withdrawn

claricebeansmum Tue 29-Sep-09 09:42:14

As I understand it the current vaccination programme for Cervarix is the large scale testing.

One has to question why use the vaccination that targets fewer strains of the HPV virus than the onther?

Also, why are we out of line with most western countries on using Cervarix over Gardasil in our national programme?

stuffitllllama Tue 29-Sep-09 09:44:00

Message withdrawn

claricebeansmum Tue 29-Sep-09 09:44:25

"Britain is the only country to have picked Cervarix, made by GlaxoSmithKline, for a mass public health programme, instead of Gardasil, a more expensive vaccine made by Merck that also protects against strains of HPV that cause genital warts."

From The Times today.

claricebeansmum Tue 29-Sep-09 09:46:10

Stuffit - from what I have read in BMJ and other medical journals is that it all seems to be down to £. Merck were the favorite but then GSK came in an undercut.

Is this something one could get an MP to look into under freedom of information?

stuffitllllama Tue 29-Sep-09 09:48:19

Well I don't know if it would make much difference on the adverse reaction front because Gardasil has had many reports of serious reactions, on the other thread it said fifteen deaths.

Clarice all information that I have is freely available if anyone looks hard enough.

stuffitllllama Tue 29-Sep-09 09:49:51

Message withdrawn

Squishabelle Tue 29-Sep-09 09:51:56

OMG - so theyre using our children as guinea pigs in what amounts to a mass-testing of Cervarix in this country only?

KerryMumbles Tue 29-Sep-09 09:56:07

after my poor dss' experience with 4in1 last week my two will never ever have another vaccination. ever.

do not give this to your daughters. They are guinea pigs.

KerryMumbles Tue 29-Sep-09 09:58:30

I will be every cent I have and will ever have that they will come back with some other "reason" this girl died.

And btw just because you can treat anaphylactic shock doesn't mean it is always succesful. People and children die from it despite epipens, emergency treatment, etc. Epis can save your life but do not be under the illusion that they are 100%

littleducks Tue 29-Sep-09 10:02:27

It is awful, shame that the story of the other girl who is paralysed from the waist down now has only made the news now

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now