Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

prevnar - anyone's baby had a bad reaction?

(25 Posts)
pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 15:37:00

Finally dd had her prevnar today [we are delaying and breaking up vaccines at 16 months. Feel a bit worried as she does react so badly to things. Anyone else's baby had a bad reaction? What can I expect and when? Feel sick to the bottom of my stomach.

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 15:59:46

bump

mmrsceptic Tue 01-Sep-09 17:38:48

Hope she's alright. Are you too attentive to her to do a bit of googling? I can do it for you. I'm sure it will be fine.

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 17:54:16

I have googled, before and after vaccination, and of course after vaccination had found out things that I'd rather not hear. sad Thanks for good wishes. I guess it is hard for most people to know what is causing a bad reaction when they get them all together. She's fine at the minute, hope it continues.

mmrsceptic Tue 01-Sep-09 18:04:36

Sorry pofaced in that case I don't know. Mine are too old for Prevnar.

Don't know if you are this way inclined but you can get some homeopathic "prophylactics" I think for vaccine reactions.

Hope she has a good couple of days.

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 18:21:28

just want 100 people to come on and say 'my dc was fine' at moment. smile I got it because I was worried about secondary complications and swine flu. Which is a bit of a remote concern really. Ah well.

belgo Tue 01-Sep-09 18:26:30

My children have had it. No bad reaction, I think they had diarrhea afterwards, but that might have been a co-incidence. Certainly nothing serious.

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 18:31:04

Thanks belgo.

belgo Tue 01-Sep-09 18:32:31

and I have three children who have had it, so you're just waiting for another 97smile

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 18:40:04

smile

Flu vaccine triggered severe auto immune illness in my dad recently, we have a rather atypical response to jabs. So hard to know what is the right thing to do.

crokky Tue 01-Sep-09 19:02:03

My 17 mo has just had it (last week) and she was fine in herself. Around the place she was vaccinated (left thigh), she had a big circle shaped blob of angry red swelling. This increased in size until it was the size of an adult's fist. It didn't bother her though and it is going down now.

crokky Tue 01-Sep-09 19:02:39

I meant the diameter of an adult fist, not that it was sticking out that much!

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 19:03:31

shock How soon after the vaccine did it show crokky?

SweetnessAndShite Tue 01-Sep-09 19:07:39

Both my sons had it with no ill effects whatsoever

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 19:11:10

like your name SandS! smile

crokky Tue 01-Sep-09 20:46:53

It showed quite quickly, started the redness the same day. Honestly though, it was nothing to worry about, it didn't bother her in the slightest.

crokky Tue 01-Sep-09 20:50:18

pofacedandproud, I meant to add that I get nervous about jabs. Neither of my DCs has had MMR, I went for single jabs quite widely spaced. Try not to worry about your DD's prevenar. (My DS had prevenar with no probs).

pofacedandproud Tue 01-Sep-09 21:02:05

Thanks crokky. Just read some alarming things about seizures and about the preparation of prevnar. But the web is a duplicitous place - who knows...

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:17:59

pofaced i hope all is well

pofacedandproud Wed 02-Sep-09 17:27:20

Thanks mmrsceptic. She's a bit quiet today, that's all. Hopefully she'll be back to herself soon.

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 17:38:22

smile

it can't be much fun

when I think of the vax i had as an adult and the horrible few days afterwards, I'm not surprised that children go downhill for a bit, even though everything is alright in the end for just about most kids

vibes and all

pofacedandproud Wed 02-Sep-09 18:07:41

Thankyou. Didn't help when I had to deal with a very hostile nurse giving her the jab, telling her how at risk we were putting her delaying and separating jabs. hmm I told her we had discussed it at length with the paediatric immunologist [who was not pushy at all] and he was happy with what we were doing, and that shut her up, but she was still icy. Really hard to find the true figures for Prevnar's efficacy too. I hate this whole awful quagmire of half truths and uncertainties. Why does it have to be like this?

mmrsceptic Wed 02-Sep-09 18:14:06

money

but I'm a sceptic old bag smile

pofacedandproud Wed 02-Sep-09 18:18:32

yes. Money definitely comes into it. I do believe the immunologist we saw and many like him who research vaccines are doing it with childrens' best interests at heart, but as to the rest....well, I'm feeling more and more dubious. sad

pofacedandproud Wed 02-Sep-09 18:18:51

children's even.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now