Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can I ask a couple of questions about vaccinations? Please :-)

(5 Posts)
ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 10-Aug-09 21:16:47

When children have their injections and there is the one for meningitis, which type of meningitis does that offer protection against, the scary rash one, or another strain?

With ref to the MMR - DD has had hers and we were told she needed her booster, I didn't know there was an MMR booster, without this turning into a massive debate, why does the booster not seem to cause much controversy?

TIA

MrsJamesMartin Mon 10-Aug-09 21:24:27

Meningitis C is the only routine vaccination for meningitis, serious but actually not as common as meningitis B for which there isn't yet a vaccine.

The pneumococcal vaccine can also protect against pneumococcal meningitis in babies.

The 2nd part of the MMR is given pre school around 3.5 yrs.

Some people don't like MMR at all either first or second dose, others are more willing to give it to their child when they are older, when they feel they are past the time where autism etc is likely to become apparent.

Maybe thats helps? smile

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 10-Aug-09 21:34:47

It does help, thanks.
I was just wondering which meningitis one it was, I'd got a memory blank.

So, for the booster, is it the same as what is in the original injection, or a lower doseage?

MrsJamesMartin Mon 10-Aug-09 21:37:52

Its the same as the 1st one. Its given because the immune response to the first may not be good enough to give lasting immunity in some children so a second dose is given to cover all bases really.

ElfOnTheTopShelf Mon 10-Aug-09 21:41:00

Okay - thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now