Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else DC got quite ill after MMR? (NB *NOT* a question about links to autism)

(44 Posts)
ElmMum Fri 31-Jul-09 11:28:21

My 14 month DD had her MMR last Tuesday. No side effects at all for a week, then about 8 days later she was a bit cranky and off her food (v unusual). The next day she didn't want to eat anything and by the evening was running a v high temp.

When it hit 39.2 we took her to the GP at the local A&E (on advice from duty doc on phone).

Doc at A&E completely dismissed the possibility that it was linked to the jab - I think because he mistakenly thought I was worried about other 'side effects' i.e. autism etc.

But NHS website itself says measles part of jab can have an effect 8-10 days later.

Her temp is down now but she's got spots around her neck.

My instinct says it's the measles bit of the jab and that as long as I keep her temp down with Calpol, give her plenty to drink and just keep an eye on it, she'll be fine.

The more paranoid part of me thinks I should take her to the doctors.

Has anyone else's DC had a reaction like this? How long did it last?

Thanks all in advance

pofacedandproud Fri 31-Jul-09 11:30:53

I have no personal experience but as far as I know you can have a mild measles 8-10 days following MMR and this is a known reaction. Rather odd that the doctor at A&E denied this. Hope she feels better soon, if youre worried about her call a doctor.

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 11:35:00

Had this with DS and DD2. Each had different GPs and they both denied any connection. I'm medical too and was concerened enough to take them to the GP for this. Also I'd already given them the jabs so could have expected quite reasonable attitude from me. In short, yes, and it's awful while it lasts. (No spots that I can remember, though, and DD2's was recent so can still remember a bit.)

hf128219 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:35:59

My dd had the singles measles jab and exactly 8 days later she was really ill for 5/6 days. You name it she had it! High temp, V&D, rash, cold etc. I was so worried at the time but she was back on form very quickly. smile

angel1976 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:37:07

I think the fever after 7-10 days is fairly common. My DS had his jab at 15 months. He was fine initially (did a few night-time runny poos, which he had not done since a baby!) but on about day 7 or 8, he had a high temperature for one day but that was it! The spots do sound like a mild case of measles from the vaccine. I wouldn't worry too much unless her fever remains high for a few days. Trust your mummy instincts! Hope your DD feels better soon.

tulip27 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:39:43

I'm a practice nurse who gives the MMR and yes your symptoms are ones to be xpected. i always tell all my mums to expect the measles part of the vaccine to kick in between 5-10 days, symptoms can include fever. lethargy, decreased appetite and a 'measles like rash'. I advise that this is not contagious and if well enough baby can still go to nursery etc. Calpol and lots of cuddles are prescribed.
Sorry this was not explained to you at your appt. Hope your child feels better soon.

broguemum Fri 31-Jul-09 11:41:43

My DD (now 6yo) has had some quite nasty reactions to two or three vaccinations but not to all of them. After one she vomited, was feverish, vomited again, passed out in my car and then slept for a straight 15 hours after which she was fine but cranky and had a raised area about 15 cm diameter at the vaccination site. On this occasion the doctor said it is within the range of "normal but unusual reactions" to a vaccinationhmm. Can't remember if that was MMR though. Mind you, she has a mild egg allergy and we now avoid (and pay extra for!) vaccines that have not been cultured in egg albumen in order to minimise any future reactions.

AitchTwoOh Fri 31-Jul-09 11:44:44

this definitely happened with dd1, she was really quite ill and clingy until a fortnight after the jab, and she had a mild rash. i took great comfort from it, in the sense that it seems to indicate that she will be immune.

ElmMum Fri 31-Jul-09 12:07:45

Thanks all. So I can probably look forward to a few more days of cranky ill baby! Good to know it's not contagious and yes, also to know that she will be immune.

Cheers all

stuffitlllama Fri 31-Jul-09 14:27:55

If it was me I would not give Calpol..the fever will help your baby deal with the virus.

tulip27 Fri 31-Jul-09 14:46:49

Stuffitllama, you cannot leave an under 2 with a tempertature,they have an inability to control their temperature and when they get too hot they are at risk of convulsions and rigors.

stuffitlllama Fri 31-Jul-09 15:18:09

i have allowed a six month old to deal with an ear infection with a temperature

this is after calpol and anti biotics and reinfection

his temperature rose.. i watched him.. all the time.. it was tiring

but his fever did the job it was supposed to do

he never had an ear infection again

fever is the first weapon of the body against infection

in other words..of course you can.. whether you want to is up to you

have a look on conventional medical websites on when temperatures become dangerous

most will say it is 103 at the minimum

squeaver Fri 31-Jul-09 15:20:07

Happened to me too here

But no one cared.... wink

peachygirl Fri 31-Jul-09 15:21:04

My DD had spots and a very high tempreture at about 9-10 days after the Jab.

I got her into the Doctor who said it was exactly the right time frame for a mild reaction, she was as right as rain in a couple of days.

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 17:20:05

Stuffitlllama - good for him he never had an ear infection again. But it has bugger all to do with having had an untreated fever.

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 17:21:56

Squeaver - for you. There must have been some fashion thread or some spat going on at the time on MN

DjangoTheDjinn Fri 31-Jul-09 17:27:13

Yup, dd had it too. Was told to expect it. Was in all the leaflets I was given. 7-10 days afterwards expect a fever, loss of appetite, crankiness and perhaps a measles type rash.

Also from the school of not medicating a temp. I medicate for pain or discomfort but a temp is the body doing its job. Convulsion risk from a rapid rise of temp, not the temp itself and have always adopted other ways of keeping the child comfortable ie loose clothing, fans, lots of drinks.

pagwatch Fri 31-Jul-09 17:50:19

re calpol and temp - when DD was 18 months she very very seriously ill in hospital one of her symptoms was high temp ( although atthat time we were not sure what the actual illness was).
I explained to the hospital that I had never given her calpol and didn't especially wantto try it for the first time at that point.
The Drs were quite happy to continue with monitoring her temp and keeping her cool. They assured me that it was just as effective. As long as she was watched closely. ( she still doesn't have it )

My DS was very ill after his MMR ( and did actually then develop ASD symptoms -) but his illness was not the one you describe.
I am sure your little one will be feeling much better soon.

pofacedandproud Fri 31-Jul-09 18:00:24

There is quite a bit of research that using antipyretics to prevent febrile convulsions is not effective. see here

There is also research showing the more paracetamol a child is given in the first year of life, the higher the risk of asthma in childhood.

I give baby nurofen if my children are very unhappy and/or their temp is over 39 degrees.

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 18:01:41

"monitoring her temp and keeping her cool" Sounds right.

stuffitlllama Fri 31-Jul-09 18:12:42

cthea how on earth do you know that?

he had an ear infection, treated with antibiotics (and the symptoms suppressed with paracetamol) which plainly suppressed it but didn't get rid of it, whilst at the same time the antibiotics would have affected his nutrition and digestive system

the normal course is then, more ear infections, more antibiotics, more diarrhoea, and so on and so forth, how often have i heard this happening with babies under one

however he had another ear infection, which his own body was allowed to rid itself of, completely

i firmly believe this is why it didn't recur

why the fuss?

stuffitlllama Fri 31-Jul-09 18:14:17

pofaced I read that research too about paracetamol increasing the risk of asthma

stuffitlllama Fri 31-Jul-09 18:15:20

sorry I am tired and sound unnecessarily hostile

stuffitlllama Fri 31-Jul-09 18:16:39

and self righteous

cthea Fri 31-Jul-09 18:25:08

stuffitlllama - He didn't get some kind of immunity to ear infections just because you didn't use Calpol. That's how I (mis?)read it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now