Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Egg Allergy & Vaccinations

(3 Posts)
TurtleAnn Fri 17-Jul-09 20:06:01

Has anyone got any experience of handling the immunisation programme if your child has an egg allergy?

DS had the 12-week meningitis jab last week and got a rash afterwards. After much speculation about excema DH mentioned he had an egg allergy when he was little and friend mentioned this might be related. I am off to get DS tested.

I am wondering which vaccines this affects and what the risks are. I know the MMR is one of the vaccines, but having the MMR done separately won't solve the problem because it is the measles part of the jab that has the egg protein.

Experiences?
Risks?
At the moment I am all in favour of getting DS immunised regardless and giving him Calpol to handle to painful rash.

feedthegoat Fri 17-Jul-09 22:22:15

My ds has an egg allery.

Eating a tiny amount of egg caused his lips to swell to more than twice the normal size and blister instantly swiftly followed by projectile vomiting and diaorreah (sp?) and then a rash that lasted a few days.

However, he was fine with MMR and had no reaction at all. His consultant advised having it administered in hospital just in case he reacted.

girlsyearapart Sat 19-Sep-09 08:41:17

Bumping this as my dd is due to have MMR in 3 weeks and is egg allergic.
Have apt with GP next week to discuss.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now