Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone else paying for their DCs to get the TB vac?

(18 Posts)
releasethehounds Sat 11-Jul-09 22:17:39

I was recently speaking to the school nurse who informed me that children are no longer routinely given the TB (Tetenus) vaccination, like we had at school. She said that the government considers the disease to be very unlikely to catch, but her personal opinion was to pay to have the vac done privately.

So I'm probably going ahead with the jab for my 10 yr old DD and then again in a few years' time for my 5 yr old DD.

Anyone else doing the same?

giantkatestacks Sat 11-Jul-09 22:20:20

Am being very dim tonight but do you mean the some parts of London TB one for babies? I actively avoided that as didnt want yet another vax.

releasethehounds Sat 11-Jul-09 22:22:36

No giant I mean the one we used to have at school around the age of 10 (I'm assuming here that you are a similar age to me!) They used to do a 'heaf' or 'daisy' test first about a week beforehand to see if your skin reacted to it, then they did the vac.

releasethehounds Sat 11-Jul-09 22:23:44

Oh shit I just realised I got the disease name wrong (well it's late and I've had a long day). I meant TB (tuberculosis) - sorry for the confusion.

giantkatestacks Sat 11-Jul-09 22:24:36

Yes I remember - there was some valid reason for them stopping though afaik, buggered if I can remember what it was though...

I think the tetanus bit confused me...

Sidge Sat 11-Jul-09 22:26:23

I wouldn't give my child BCG vaccine unless they were at particularly high risk.

TB is hard to catch, easily treated and the vaccine isn't terribly efficacious anyway.

MrsMattie Sat 11-Jul-09 22:26:37

My DS had it because the area of London we used to live in was considered 'high risk' for TB. I now live in a 'low risk' area and won't be bothering with my 2nd child. I'm not overly concerned, really.

releasethehounds Sat 11-Jul-09 22:30:02

No I wasn't too concerned either as we live in a very low-risk area, up until the nurse mentioned it. This was during DD2's developmental check and the nurse only mentioned the jab because she knows I also have a 10 year old.

She seemed quite adamant that she would have the jab done privately.

Sidge Sat 11-Jul-09 22:32:36

Maybe she has a hidden agenda?

I'm a school nurse and we recommend vaccines to target groups based on their risk; if your children aren't at risk then she shouldn't be pushing a vaccine on to you.

releasethehounds Sat 11-Jul-09 22:34:09

Interesting Sidge - she did actually say that our DDs would be very low risk but still recommended the vac.

EldonAve Sat 11-Jul-09 22:35:03

I would consider it
We don't get it as we are in a "low risk" area
If we lived 100m down the street we would get it hmm

giantkatestacks Sat 11-Jul-09 22:38:29

My understanding was Eldon that the TB jab for babies was actually much worse than some the others in terms of side effects and how it works etc for less efficacy.

Interesting though because I think from other threads that you live in the same NHS Trust area to me smile

Sidge Sat 11-Jul-09 22:39:51

How odd - maybe you should see her again and interrogate ask her why she so strongly recommends it?

The current advice is here.

Sidge Sat 11-Jul-09 22:41:08

ginatkatestacks it has very few side effects and doesn't seem to make children systemically unwell (less than most routine vaccines) but you're right in saying it's less effective.

releasethehounds Sat 11-Jul-09 22:43:36

Thanks Sidge - will take a look.

ABetaDad Sat 11-Jul-09 22:54:37

releasethehounds - I had this conversation with the TB nurse in oxfordshire about 4 years ago. She said 'it is a Low Risk area and only London is deemed High Risk'.

When I asked what defined Low Risk the nurse said 'Oh, not many people get it here". I did point out that the reason not many people get it is because a large number of people in the population have been vaccinated but when the cohort falls there will be more incidence.

It seems mad that the Govt go on about MMR and people not being vaccinated but then say people do not need vaccinating againt TB - which is known as 'white death'.

Anyway, we had DS1 and DS2 done privately at age 5 and 3.

bubbleymummy Sun 12-Jul-09 15:58:37

IIRC the vaccine was stopped because it was deemed inefficient. A high percentage of vaccinated people developed no immunity to the disease. I personally wouldn't go for it...

Carrie06 Mon 20-Jul-09 19:31:14

my ds got it at birth because of where the hospital was - west london. someone mentioned it's easy to treat - not so - long treatment with antibiotics.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now